• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109a2 roof rack ideas

islandguydon

I am looking for a few different ideas for a low profile roof rack for a M109A2, any suggestions would be appreciated. The rack would span the entire Box Top only, not the cab. I was thinking an aluminum rack would be best. This option would be a good mounting source for spot lights and the like.

Attachments

scottjhl

What are you looking to place up there... are you worried about clearance?

Either way, I would either look into fabricating something out of steel piping. That way you can get the height you are looking for on the rack, with the cost benefit of not paying a premium for a pre made rack, and the ability of being able to use all that space up top.

Just my 2cents

islandguydon

What are you looking to place up there... are you worried about clearance?

Either way, I would either look into fabricating something out of steel piping. That way you can get the height you are looking for on the rack, with the cost benefit of not paying a premium for a pre made rack, and the ability of being able to use all that space up top.

Just my 2cents
Thanks, I was looking for a height od 13' so with the 46" tires the rack would be approx 8" . I just like to have the option to safly haul spare tires, and misc;;;;; I think to pre fab in steel would be the way to go...

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is what we did. Branch pusher and cab-over rack.
We will also add solar panels between the rails on top of the box.
10-07-22_ (1).jpg

scottjhl

This is what we did. Branch pusher and cab-over rack.
We will also add solar panels between the rails on top of the box.
View attachment 260190

This is exactly what I was thinking about doing... my only issue/wonder, is how much weight will you be able to put on top of the cab "rack" if you will..

I see that you have the bike on there, thats a great idea, However i was wondering about Storage / Weight capacity.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is exactly what I was thinking about doing... my only issue/wonder, is how much weight will you be able to put on top of the cab "rack" if you will..

I see that you have the bike on there, thats a great idea, However i was wondering about Storage / Weight capacity.
We use it to carry 2 - bikes, 2 - 6volt batts (in an attached box), a can w/ potable water hose, pioneer tool rack (loaded), and have both stood on it at the same time (350lb).
It's not attached to the cab, it's mounted by the lift corners (all 4) of the box and has two feet pads mounted to the front of the box.
To start w/ we left 3" of space between the rear cab corners and the bottom of the rack . . . we have since learned that that is NOT enough for the places we take it. :oops: We're now going to push the floor of the rack up 2" more

10-08-23 (3).jpg 11-01-30_ (13).jpg

Last edited:

scottjhl

Sorry to hijack the thread... But would be interested in more pictures of your rack, and measurments of the "final product" that you have... I estimated having the same items up there,plus water. Always nice to have 5 gal for a hot shower.

Either PM or if original thread maker is cool with it, post em up!

EDIT:

After looking at your thread, I am amazed at the outcome of the whole m109, and the roof rack. Yours I belive is mainly as a brush mover, and less of a roof rack. But nevertheless good start for a roof rack if you wanted t make one.

Last edited: