• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109A3 Is Home

Desert Deuce

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I flew up to Hill AFB to get my M109A3 a couple weeks ago. It started right up on the lot. 1 flat tire & 1 Broken Mirror frame. Called Mark Boyce, drove over to his old shop and they fixed me up quick. THANKS Boyce Equipment!! I got 2 new wiper blades from Boyce which I forgot to pack. 2nd day of trip was 80% rain.

Drove real nice, Air-O-Matic worked perfect. I've become a real fan of the Air-O-Matic, I know there are mixed feelings about it, just my opinion.

I did have one issue, fuel leak about 2 hours into the trip, coming from the back of the fuel nozzle? for the flame heater. I rerouted the heater feed hose into the heater return "T" that runs along the injectors. That could have been a big problem as it was leaking onto a very hot turbo.

Truck has all records. It went through depot in Oct 07. And was prepped for FMS in March 08. New air compressor, injection pump, and other parts. Did not get chosen, so it went to GL.

It's a "65" with 11,000 miles or so on odo. I like the extended exhaust pipe, it is much quieter. It is a whistler. It also has the Arctic Kit installed in the cab, all holes on the firewall are sealed, just have to keep the cab dry. I had been waiting for the right 109 for about 2 years; I plan on using it when we sell at gun shows, air shows and other events around the valley.

I have to agree with Bruce K. from a previous post, I had also been waiting for a fairly unmolested MERDC paint scheme as well. Hood was replaced with a 3 color NATO in March 08.

It's going to get its paint freshened up in the next couple weeks (paint is on order from Rapco) as my wife is probably going to drive it, with the lube trailer in the Veterans Day Parade this year.

800 miles took 2 full days. What a beautiful drive it was through Utah and Northern AZ.

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
What exactly did you mean by Air O Matic is that the front axle? Boy I sure like the way it has the heaters and all mine is nice but a plain jane compaired to yours.

Very Respectfully,

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
wsucougarx said:
Air O Matic=power steering??
Yes, that is the air assist, power steering

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks