• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109A3 recovery from Ft. Sam Houston

Pawnshop

I got my EUC clearance 20 minutes after I got home from looking at the truck on Monday, so I had to take the day off Wednesday and go back down there and get her! "Rod" the regular GL yard guy was off so I had to get a guy from the warehouse to go into the lot with me and he wanted to go to lunch so there was no time to take photos. He had to do some truck shuffling to get her jumped off but she started right up and ran good. He would not let us do any "maintenance" in the yard but showed us where we could park to check fluids. They apparently towed a trailer with her on the way to Ft. Sam and they left the service air open, and we had to put about 1.5gal of coolant in but otherwise she was ready to go. The truck has new tires, radiator, brake cylinders and some new little bits on the motor, I have not crawled all over her yet to see what else. According to CARNAC the truck has less than 300 miles on the odometer since 1988, and that includes the 100 mi we put on her yesterday! Once we got home and shut her down she would not crank again so I guess I am in the market for some new batteries, and something fell off the driver side inner fender, what is it and where can I get another one?

Attachments

Last edited:

Pawnshop

Yes, I am very happy with her, she's a keeper. I have decided to quit while I am ahead, I have hit a home run twice now but my luck can't hold out forever! I suspected that was a flasher relay.....

Last edited:
Your part in the wheel well is the turn signal flasher. They are $40 to $45 from most places. Saturn or O.D. Iron will have them. You may be able to re-secure the one you have, if it is still working. Make sure you have a really good ground for the flasher control, grounding is a major problem with the turn signals.

Barrman

It will work loose from a zip tie around the box. Zip tie the wires really good and then zip tie the box to something else. I learned this getting my truck home from OKC last month.