• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M109A3 Shop Van external AC connector plug

sgtrisk

I've scoured all the surplus and parts sites I can find and just can't seem to locate the right beast.

I'm looking for the plug (male) to fit the 2-prong recptacle on the shop van body to supply AC to the breaker box inside.

Along the same lines, I'm looking for an affordable slave cable for the standard slave plug.

Thanks!

Attachments

ZiggyO

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all,

I am actually looking for two of the body mounted/ bulkhead type receptacles as shown in the pic above (one to fix the one I broke on my trailer and another to convert my s280 so I only have to have one cord/plug combo...... If anyone does do a conversion or has a few of these kicking around, I am interested........

Munk

I am also looking for the male end as well. I tried the link but didn't work. I would also like to know if this can be plugged in from slave receptical on the truck to power the 110, or does the power have to come from an outside source like a generator?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Munk, the male end is a Crouse-Hinds model (6275 if I remember correctly), last time I saw one it was north of $175 plus S&H, and that's without any cable attached to it.

Ziggy, I'll be stripping out the one on my other shop van sometime this fall, replacing it with a Marinco twist lock, either 30 or 50 amp (haven't decided yet, but have both already) because the cables are so much easier to find.

Munk

SCSG, thank you for the reply. Where does a guy find the adapter and could you tell me if i can use the power from the truck to run the 110 inside the box, or a regular 110 source?

firefox

General
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Munk, the output of the slave connector on your truck is 24 volts DC.
If you connected this to your shelter, you would need to change all the bulbs to 24 volts DC
which would be difficult at best . Then you would only be able to use devices that
operated on 24 volts DC in the shelter.
There is also is the risk of running down your batteries in your truck if you
stopped the engine and didn't turn off the lights in the shelter.
Sorry for the long winded answer, but there are situations when you might want to do just that. I just don't think it is a good idea unless you understand what you are getting in to.
Bruce

Munk

Firefox, thanks for the reply, i didnt know if there was a power inverter to go from 24 to 110. Is there a way to change the plug on the outside of the box to accept a regular 110 plug-in? I know these are some odd and kinda dumb questions but am new to this 109 stuff with the different powers. Anhelp is a great help for me.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The big receptacle on the shop van box can EITHER be 24V or 110V, and the on one of the boxes inside there is a switch to determine which one you are using. It depends on what source of power you have. It is usually 110, as that is what the lights and most of the shop equipment used. But there are two lights in the center of the ceiling, and the vent fan that are 24V. I think the fan on the fuel heater is also 24V. If you do a search here on SS for 'crouse-hinds', you will find a thread that lists the exact model number, as well as an Appleton equivalent. It is up to you to use Google to find one to purchase. That's the thrill of the chase!

wildbilly1760

I would like to see some other folks conversions of how they changed the receptical to a more common 110 plug. So I could just plug the van into an extension cord. Anyone have a thread or pics they would like to share?

wikallen

My 109a3 has a big 4pin connection inside that plug on top. It is a blue plastic box inside of it. I also had a huge 100amp circuit breaker box on the wall along with the usual boxes. I ordered the marine style 30amp connector like Mike was showing, and will install it on the panel covering the hole below the big pipe connector.