• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1101 Axle Swap

Tlucero31

I have a 2009 Schutt M1101. I’m trying to decide on an axle swap or doing an electric conversion with hubs so I can run the same wheels as my JKU. A few trailer shops around here told me they can’t go smaller than 6 lug on the axle. I’m lost as this is the opposite of my line of work and I’m not the most mechanical inclined.
Has anybody done a full axle swap to run 5x5. If so what’s you go with and do you have the measurements you used to purchase the new axle. Any help is greatly appreciated. I thought I saw a swap on a forum but I can’t seem to find it anywhere.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not change out the axle and I would stay with the surge brakes. You can use different rims, like the normal 8 lug Ford 3/4 ton van wheels and tires. Then if that is not low enough, there are several threads about taking 4" out from the frame-axle connection.

I do believe there are parts available for changing to electric brakes, but a properly working surge brake will work well too. Disclaimer....many of these trailers need the surge brake actuator reworked (from hard braking).

The pintle ring is part of the brake actuator and is made from cast steel, so it can be welded to put on a ball type hitch.

On the second photo, you can see a bolt/nut (little one on the right). That is to make it solid....keeping the actuator out and locked out. Oh yea, these axles are supposed to "free back" too, means the brake releases when backing. Obviously mine is highly modified....not one corner was left un-damaged by the military....then again I gave very little for it years ago.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks