• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1101 Expedition build to begin

virnoche

Greetings!
I just picked up an M1110 with plans to build into a great hunting/expedition trailer for myself and brother. Has anyone ever successfully installed an alternator right on the trailer to charge while towing? Worth it? Or just run the large cable from the tow vehicle's battery and do it this way?

Planning to keep the whole system as efficient as possible. I will also have Solar and Wind generators for constant charging. Not sure if I will use converters to get 110V or just get a small generator for those things....not sure on that yet.

Thanks for any feedback you can afford me!

Wire Fox

...an alternator on the trailer? Like, to turn the alternator off the rotation of the axle to generate power? It's all going to add up to drag on the vehicle's engine, so I think it'd be better to just keep it simple and run an appropriately-rated cable to the trailer for power. You can then use your wind/solar power generation directly on the trailer to continuously keep those batteries charged when not driving. For RVs, battery isolation systems exist that allow the vehicle's charging system to charge auxiliary batteries; however, they prevent the vehicle from drawing a starting current from the aux batteries AND it prevents the aux power system from draining your vehicle batteries. This can really help to make sure you don't accidentally strand yourself by overdischarging and allows you to run smaller power cables to the aux batteries, since you don't have to worry about carrying extremely high starting current from the aux batteries.

snowtrac nome

the best way would to charge off the vehicle through an rv 7 pin plug just think of the environment the alternator is going to be in under the trailer.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your wayyy overthinking this!!
As noted, just do the proven and time tested cable from vehicles battery via 7-way plug.

Depending on the unit, you can run the wind generator as you drive.
With that comes high risk of damage from items striking it.

I would just charge it with the 7-way and never look back.

virnoche

All good comments folks thanks! My only concern with this is that the trailer will most likely sit for months on end.....then wanna go. Battery would fully charge if charged directly from trailer...I realize all the other methods work to, just trying to make it as bullet proof as possible.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If anything, just install a solargizer on it.
It doesn’t charge, but maintains a fully charged battery.

Or if close to power, install a battery tender.

DeadParrot

If the trailer is going to be parked in the sun, the solar panels for maintaining charge should work. If mostly in the shade or inside, just get a battery minder and proper length extension cord. Depending on the amount of gear you plan on running from 12/24V while in the field, either solar panels or you can find plans for spinning an alternator with a lawnmower engine. It will simplify the build if you can avoid 120V stuff. There are also propane fuel cell generators if lack of noise is a factor. Do size the batteries to allow for a few days without sun or allow for non-solar recharge.

Use LEDs for lighting to cut power draw.

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This setup was on a trailer pulled by someone in the MVPA convoy that's going down Route 66. I dropped by their evening stopping point to check out the rigs and snap pictures.

WP_20170925_018.jpgWP_20170925_017.jpgWP_20170925_016.jpgWP_20170925_019.jpgWP_20170925_020.jpg

My apologies if this setup belongs to a member here, but I see a major downside to this... What happens if the driver has to straddle a pile of roadkill or big tire tread in the road??

If I was going to make something like this, I'd make it so the little tire rides against the tread of the trailer tire, is up as high as possible, and so it can be disengaged from the trailer tire when not needed.

I do think it's a very cleaver idea!

Last edited:

BadRobot

I think it can only be used on the highway. It might be difficult to get it off-road with this type of setup. Additional, it only charge when it is moving at least one certain speed.

I have dual mount MEP-803A on a trailer. I use solar panel to keep the battery fully charge. Additional, I also use it as a power source of my outdoor wireless surveillance camera. So I can start the generators, jump start my HMMWV, or power my power tools as needed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks