• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1101 hub

KansasBobcat

Odds caught up with me on M1101 recovery at Ft. Hood. Checked hubs after mile or so and driver side pretty warm, other side ok. Found Centex trailer in Nolanville, south of Killeen. Owner, Dan Watson, nice guy. Could not get to it that day so we left it picked it up following week. Hub nut too tight. They repacked bearing and replaced seal. We drove to San Antonio and both hubs remained ok. Fourth trailer and first problem. I just assumed a 2010 would be ok, but it did have unit markings so a motorpool mistake, I guess. What a great hobby!

1stDeuce

I picked up an M1101 Monday and it also had one hub bearing nut that was too tight for my taste, causing that bearing to run warm. Wasn't running warm enough to worry me, and it made the trip fine, but it had been tightened about half a flat past where I could hand tighten it to. I always run them tight by hand using pliars or a large socket, then back off one flat or until the lock tabs can engage. A little loose is WAY better than a little tight!! I've seen several new Dexter axles with the nuts tigher than I like to run them, causing them to run warm.
Chris

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

I picked up a M1102 last Friday & towed it back from Atlanta DLA to Florida in one afternoon. It was run @ slow speed for the first 10 miles due to a traffic jamb & stayed cool; after that, it was run @ highway speeds of 55-60mph for about 30 miles, with only being slightly warm. After a couple hundred miles, it never got any warmer than the truck wheels, so it was good to go for the entire trip. Had there been any excess heating, the floor jack & tools, plus a tub of grease was waiting if need be. I have had to repack several civy trailers lately due to unuse over the years; better to be safe than sorry sitting on the side of the road with welded bearings.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks