• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1101 piggy back

1stDeuce

That works if you have access to a patient forklift operator and chains and slings at the GL lot, and when you get it where you're going to unload them. I wasn't that ambitious when I picked mine up, so I stacked them upright like this:
Let the air out of the tires on the trailer that you're putting on top.
Get the GL forklift driver to pick it up with the forks under the frame.
Drop the far side a few inches more than the near side.
Put it over the bottom trailer and lower it until far side tire is just inside and about 2" below the side of the lower trailer
Drive the forklift forward a little until the near side tire will just tuck inside the bed when lowered.
I put 4x4's on top of each wheel well for the top trailer to actually ride on.
It'll spring the sides out a little on the bottom trailer, but not enough to that they won't spring back when you remove it.
The rear tie downs go on first to keep the tongue in the air, and I put the front tie downs on in an "X" patter to keep it stable. No problems for the 400 mile trip home.

* Note that if you don't let the air out of the tires, you won't get it to squeeze in at all!!
**Oh, and be sure to set the parking brakes on the upper trailer for good measure!

I used a crane to lift off the top trailer, but if you put some ramps there, you could probably just drag it out and up onto a tall deck trailer or a loading dock. I was going to drag it onto my gooseneck with the Jeep, but the shop next door has a crane and plucked it off for me. :)

IMG_3878.jpgIMG_3876.jpgIMG_3879.jpgIMG_3877.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks