• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1123 Junk Truck

Superhondaz50

Hi all, figured I'd start a thread to document this junk truck build as I go along. It's going to be a long project as I only have one or two free days a month. Hopefully have it done within 5 years. The plan is to LS swap it, will be a N/A 5.3, will be cammed with some nice heads and carbureted. May or may not keep the 4L80E, if it is good, I will use it, if not I will use a TH400, it will be converted to 2WD. The whole truck will be gutted to just the frame, cab and hood. All the stock suspension and stuff is going in the trash and will be swapped with a Ford 9" rear on 4 links with 14" 2.5 coilovers and 16" 2.5 bypass shocks. Front will have equal length beams on 14" 2.5 coilovers. Will be topped off with a cage and other goodies. Some details may change as I go along with the build. Today I had a free day and pulled a lot of the front off and the engine. The engine, exhaust and intake part are free if anyone local wants them (I will be dumping other parts too as they come off).

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have not sourced the LS yet then I would get a complete drive train with say a 6L80 and matching TC and drop that in.
Nice project!
With the 2.73 gears I would not even consider a TH400 unless you don't mind running 3600RPM at highway speeds.

Superhondaz50

If you have not sourced the LS yet then I would get a complete drive train with say a 6L80 and matching TC and drop that in.
Nice project!
With the 2.73 gears I would not even consider a TH400 unless you don't mind running 3600RPM at highway speeds.
6L80 is a possibility. I am not worried about the 2.73 as the stock differentials and geared hubs are going in the trash. The Ford 9" in the back will prob have 5.13 gearing.

Superhondaz50

So you're planning to ditch the IRS? Are you keeping the front IFS? What's the application for this build?
Ya, ditching both. The rear will be a 4 link 9" Ford straight axle, the front will be equal length beams. This is going to be for open desert high speed stuff. The stock Humvee stuff is terrible up here in the desert. Hoping to pull about 20" of travel in the front and around 24" in the rear.

Superhondaz50

Picked up a possible new rear end today. I may or may not use this. It is from a 72 Ford van and is the 2nd widest 9" rear made at 68". The issue is that the pumpkin is offset heavily to the passenger side. If I use it, more than likely I will be cutting the tubes off on each side and swapping them to opposing sides and rewelding to center the pumpkin. The other option is waiting for a 9" out of a late model F150 (1986) which would be 65". I would still be running into width issues as I am shooting for 88" wide in the rear and 90" in the front. I will be putting a Speedway 35 spline nodular iron third member, with a spool and 5.14 gearing. Really heavy duty.

Attachments

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Picked up a possible new rear end today. I may or may not use this. It is from a 72 Ford van and is the 2nd widest 9" rear made at 68". The issue is that the pumpkin is offset heavily to the passenger side. If I use it, more than likely I will be cutting the tubes off on each side and swapping them to opposing sides and rewelding to center the pumpkin. The other option is waiting for a 9" out of a late model F150 (1986) which would be 65". I would still be running into width issues as I am shooting for 88" wide in the rear and 90" in the front. I will be putting a Speedway 35 spline nodular iron third member, with a spool and 5.14 gearing. Really heavy duty.
I'm always awed by people who can talk about doing this stuff like I would talk about mowing the lawn. Mad skillz - wish I had them (and the room to use them).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks