• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1152 A/C compressor issue

FlameRed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AC is a specialty on its own. I am no expert but I have done some work on some, not all, successful.

AC work requires a bunch of specialized tools. Some parts stores will loan or rent AC tools. Beats having lots of expensive tools sitting on the shelf unused for years.

All that being said, yes, low refrigerant can cause the compressor to cycle. On the receiver dryer, there is a switch which usually has two leads. If you pull the connector off, and short the two leads using a wire, the compressor should run. Don't let it run for long like that or you can fry your compressor. If it runs with it shorted then you are probably low on refrigerant. Or you can stick a set of AC gauges on the high/low ports but you have to know how to read them to tell if you are low.

Don't just add refrigerant as you probably have a leak. Best way to find the leak is an electronic leak detector. Die is ok, but if the leak is hidden from view, die is useless. If you have a leak there is sometimes a wet spot where the oil comes out also. And so you might have to add the right amount of oil as well as refrigerant.

This does not help you. Just trying to let you know what you are in for if you DIY.

Gcelevator

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On my Red Dot system, i add the exact amount of refrigerant found on YouTube videos and now on the manual i found. Not familiar with your model, could be a expansion valve stuck? Or not opening/closing all the way? I remember not too long ago someone started a thread on 1151 or 1152 ac system but i don't recall who it was.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you evacuate the system completely "knowing" how much refrigerant the system uses means nothing.
Unless you feel confident and can use a set of gauges you should have a competent shop look at it, they may not know the ins and outs of that system but they can put a set of gauges on it, all R134A systems are the same to the gauges.