• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116 trailer pickup and side trip

number9

Made a run this Thur to Richmond, VA to pickup another M116 that will be a donor trailer to modify the M116A3 with. Pickup was smooth and easy. I've had two pickups at Richmond now and both were good.

The family likes to go so we can make a little mini vacation out of it. They boys love to see all the military iron and insist on wearing their "Army" shirts / pants when we go. I am doing my best to teach them to have the highest respect for those in the military.

The trailer had 2 flats on it, but the tires are near new - just have the tits wore off but the mold line down the center of the tread is still easily visible. Tires did show some weather cracking, looks like the trailer has sat outside for some time. Tires held fine and made the trip home with no issues.

1) A year ago on the way home from a motorcycle trip I happened to stop for a leak and a water at a little Liberty Gas station off Exit 143 on I-64 in WV. When I walked in my shoulders rubbed the door it was so narrow. I thought that was odd and after getting inside I realized why. This store is OLD. Owner said it was built in 1854. So on the way home on this trip I stopped off so the boys could see it. These old stores bring back childhood memories of me and my Grandpa and there ain't many of them left around so I try to give my boys those same memories to recall when they get grown.

2) Don't know who the redhead kid was.

3) This bench is OLD. The owner said he didn't know how old it was, but there used to be two of them and over the years the old men had whittled the bench away enough that it broke, so they drove nails in the front edge of this one to keep them from ruining it.

4) "Whats up" :shock: Easy boys, you've got PLENTY of time for that sort of stuff.

5) Cool old checkers table.

Attachments

Last edited:

number9

6) After leaving the store we made a detour off to show the family the New River Bridge. They hadn't seen it before. It's a BIG bridge.

7) I like these little trailers. This style landing gear sucks compared to the crank style on the M116 though.

8) The boys go to see a train at close distance for the first time.

9) The engineer blew the horn for them and they stood there stone faced until the last car went by.

Attachments

number9

10) Me and the boys backdrop by the bridge.

11) Wife loved the waterfalls and creek being the duck that she is.

12) After spending some time checking the area out, we loaded up and headed on home with the trailer.

Pickups like these are a win-win and a great family time outing.

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
SWEET, love to hear about good recoveries. The fact that you got the family involved and got to see "hometown America" is even better.

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That old place there with the bench and checkers table - I think you found a piece of America! I'm glad you found it. I sometimes worry that it is slowly going away. I always go looking for America when I travel. They've all gone to look for America..

AceHigh

I was at Richmond Thursday and picked up a MEP on a 116. Towed great behind my Crown Vic. ;-) Michael with GL was good to work with.

Been all the places you photographed. Thanks for sharing.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where is this bridge? I'd make a trip up north just to see that. Is it open for vehicular traffic? Love KY, my favorite state in the nation.