• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1165 battery drain through 200 amp alternator

Jeffphillips

I have an 8 amp battery drain as measured at the batteries. by disconnecting things I arrived at the conclusion it was the alternator. If I disconnect all the wires except #6 and the ground strap (wiring diagram excerpt provided in photos), the draw disappears (Photo 4649). When I reconnect the screwed connector (photo 4652) the draw reappears.

I don’t see the screwed connector on the wiring diagram; however I’m guessing the regulator is shot, but not knowing the function of the connector, that could be a very expensive guess.

can anyone either confirm this, or offer additional troubleshooting advice?

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am curious if the test actually confirm the reg. is bad, at least you should be able to eliminate the alt.
Because in the differences in meters you may not get EXACTLY the reading you are looking for but if it is relatively close it is probably OK

Jeffphillips

thanks for the help, that troubleshooting guide was helpful.

there isn’t exactly a test in there for a parasitic draw, but working through it, there were a few tests that it failed, chief among them was I found it was putting out a charge voltage of 34.5 volts.

a new regulator has been ordered.