• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116A Brake Shoes

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an M116A2/3 trailer. Brakes were a little jacked when I picked it up from auction.
20210613_111830.jpg
I don't know how they got the drum on over the shoe with it bent like this.
20210613_114544.jpg
20210613_114550.jpg

The part # in the TM is BSE10918081.

Edit: Yucca Valley, CA, NAPA figured it out in 5 minutes. Had them in stocks. Charged me 21.78 plus tax & core charge. Part number in picture below.
20210619_152523.jpg

Last edited:

Jeepadict

They're a Dexter brake assembly. Everything is available from Croft or eTrailer except the backing plate which lack the holes for the brake cable. Both vendors stock the components.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Neither of the recommended sites produces anything with the part # from the TM. I'll take the part into NAPA next week and see what they can do.

Jeepadict

@juanprado good catch, I totally missed the A1...the assembly caught my eye.

@Curtisje as I've heard NAPA is hit or miss depending on the skills of the guy behind the counter. Everyone I know has called Croft or eTrailer (emphasis on called) because their websites are not cataloged to the TM info as these parts are commercially available products cataloged by manufacturer part number. Call either of them, tell them you have "a military trailer with a Dexter hydraulic drum brake axle" and the rep will take it from there. They even have it all as an assembly from the backing plate to the drum pre-assembled if ya chose to go that route (tho the new backing plate omits the parking function) but you probably aren't gonna get all that at NAPA...but a guy could get lucky.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
@juanprado good catch, I totally missed the A1...the assembly caught my eye.

@Curtisje as I've heard NAPA is hit or miss depending on the skills of the guy behind the counter. Everyone I know has called Croft or eTrailer (emphasis on called) because their websites are not cataloged to the TM info as these parts are commercially available products cataloged by manufacturer part number. Call either of them, tell them you have "a military trailer with a Dexter hydraulic drum brake axle" and the rep will take it from there. They even have it all as an assembly from the backing plate to the drum pre-assembled if ya chose to go that route (tho the new backing plate omits the parking function) but you probably aren't gonna get all that at NAPA...but a guy could get lucky.

Thank you. That helps immensely.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks