• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116A2 Maintainence and Repair

Im trying to get the surge brakes on my M116A2 in working order. When I picked it up from GL the reservoir cap was missing and it was full of water.

So I drained the water cleaned out the reservoir and added brake fluid. I followed the TM for bleeding which says to actuate the break away lever to pump the reservoir, this does nothing.

I decided to dig deeper and completly removed the combination pintle and sure brake assembly and the master cylinder.

Several of the bolts were frozen that the pintle hangs from and would not allow the pintle to compress to actuate the brakes, the shock absorber is blown out, and the Master cylinder is full of rust.

Does anyone know of a source for new or NOS master cylinder assemblies?

Also for anyone who want to know the shock on my trailer was made by Maeco there are two numbers on the shock HO8-4-83K and 1844 2

If anyone knows of a suitable replacement shock please share.

Well Ive looked all over and called a few manufacturers and either they don't make the shock and have nothing suitable or in Monroe's case they only sell the shock through Balcrank and they want 48.50 for the shock.

So if anyone knows of any NOS shocks or a cheap shock with part number 1844-2 please let me know asap.

I guess I will just have to wait till I have the funds available. I really dont wanna put the hitch back together till I can do it right. I also want to replace all the rusty nuts and bolts with level 10 hardware. I guess once its all fixed it will make the trailer more attractive to buyers.

Green_gator

Here is the page for the parts to fix the surge brake on the Croft website.

BALCRANK PARTS BREAKDOWN, HYDRAULIC SURGE BRAKE ACTUATOR PARTS BREAKDOWN, BRAKES, ELECTRONIC CONTROLLERS & ACTUATORS, Products

Once you start looking at the price of parts the more expensive trailers with functioning brakes start looking like a better deal. If you have to replace the shock, master cylinder and brake away chain you are looking at about $175 plus shipping.
Still if you only paid $200 for a trailer these are nice trailers for $400 that you can pull with dang near any vehicle.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks