• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116A3 Tilt Bed

maxtor

After finding out that the M116A3 trailers are tilt bed, I removed the two bolts and tilted one of our trailers. What I found is that the wiring is to short for maximum tilt. I released the wiring to allow the tilt, but then when I returned the bed back to level, the holes would not line up to reinstall the bolts. I had to use clamps to get the holes to line up. Anyone else have this problem, and if so what is a better solution than using clamps.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And yet another Steel Soldier realizes too late that the M101 and M116 series trailers are not dump trailers at all, since this feature is not listed in the manual, and by doing so you can, in some cases, cause damage to the trailer.

Ratch

What about your steel brake line?
Raising the frame up from the drawbar will twist the front spring hangers or the drawbar, and eventually result in a failure of the joint. Imagine it breaking at 70mph with a 1000lb load of furniture or something. The trailer might just drive the truck...

oddave715

Cast brackets at the springs are not designed for this function and will eventually break. What they are designed to do is unbolt at that cast bracket and fold the tongue up for space saving, i.e. shipping.

quickfarms

Yes the cast brackets will brake. I used my M101 as a dump trailer for over 10 years before they broke.

This is how I fixed it several years ago.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412740568.155462.jpg

This is how I dealt with the front alignment problem back in the 90's

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1412740677.294698.jpg

maxtor

I tilted one of mine so the painter could paint the frame. I will take pictures tomorrow. My usage is to haul camping equipment behind our Jeep when we go exploring. It does not need to tilt. I do have a M116A3 that I modified for wood hauling, and it would be nice to tilt, but if it will damage the trailer, I will keep the bed down. Our third M116A3 is up for sale, so I kept it stock, except for adding a tongue jack. I am not sure what I will do with our M1101.
Thank you all for your quick responses.

maxtor

Here are the pictures after the new paint job. Now it is ready to load the cartons of supplies when I go exploring out in the wilderness. I am going to get a spare tire and mount it under the bed. Modifications include:

Narrowing the fenders and widening the bed by 18 inches.
Replacing the lunette with a standard two inch ball.
Removing the stock large tires for a smaller size.
Modifying the wiring for a four plug.
Replacing the 24 volt tail light bulbs with 12 volt.

P1010283.jpgP1010284.jpgP1010285.jpg