• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M116A3 Trailer/Camping Project

Shotgun_rider911

Hello everyone and I'm new to Steel Soldiers. I recently purchased an M116A3 trailer with generator removed. Its in great condition, looks to be about 33 years old by the data plate. Was manufactured by Turtle Mountain Manufacturing. I am looking to add a rack to it and put a RTT on the top of it. The type of tent will be an Autana Sky RTT. I will attach photos along with the Jeep that will be its mate. I am looking to repaint the top black to match my Jeep, but the OD green parts will remain green as a salute to mine and the trailers military service. It also has HUMVEE tires on it.
I would like advice on what to put on the front of the trailer as a windbreak so that my totes/ice chests/camp kitchen don't end up on the highway.
Trailer.jpg

Jeep and trailer.jpg

Thank you,
Shotgun_Rider911
Maryland

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Read the old threads of all the different trailer builds.
Lots of amazing and clever builds for these trailers.
Should give you plenty of ideas for your build.

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before you dump a lot of time and money into it, think it through.

- Where will you camp? Are there places you can pull it and park?
- Is the RTT better off on the roof vs the trailer? Out here we use the RTT, but the narrow abandoned logging roads in the National Forest sometimes dead-end, and turning around with a trailer is often impossible.
- Will the more critical members of your family enjoy it? IOW, will your wife camp in the thing or will you need to buy a real travel trailer so she'll go?

The idea of building one often surpasses the need/desire to actually use one. Just know that going in.

That said, I look forward to seeing your build!

Shotgun_rider911

Before you dump a lot of time and money into it, think it through.

- Where will you camp? Are there places you can pull it and park?
- Is the RTT better off on the roof vs the trailer? Out here we use the RTT, but the narrow abandoned logging roads in the National Forest sometimes dead-end, and turning around with a trailer is often impossible.
- Will the more critical members of your family enjoy it? IOW, will your wife camp in the thing or will you need to buy a real travel trailer so she'll go?

The idea of building one often surpasses the need/desire to actually use one. Just know that going in.

That said, I look forward to seeing your build!
Good morning and thank you for your response.
I am going to camp in traditional camp grounds or state parks. It is project that my son and I are embarking on, he is only 4 and is really looking forward to it. We had a 33' winnebago class A motorhome and my wife didnt want to go camping in the later years of owning it. So if she doesnt want to go.....its okay! My son and I will go. Here on the East Coast there is really no place to go off-roading, much less boondocking. The only time it will see boondocking is at a Nascar race.
Ive had my doubts about moving forward about it already, but I am committed to seeing it through. Thanks for the comments.

Shotgun_Rider911

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks