• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M135 PTO question!! Can the winch pto function while the truck is moving?

riktheimpaler

fat lady singsI am curious about the capability of the M135 troop carrier. I would like to fit farm attachments onto the front but before I spend money designing and building a hitch/ lift for said attachments I thought I would make sure the pto stays functional while in gear. The unit does have the hydromatic transmission and I would ALSO like to know how the pto speed of the drive is deturmined? Is is relative to to the engine speed? Could the unit effectively power a flail ,mulcher head or cold planer attachment designed to run at the 540-1000 rpm range?

Thanks In advance for any help.

M215

The PTO is attached to the transfer case on the M135 / M211 series truck, so the RPM of the PTO would depend on the the engine speed and transmission gear. Usually the PTO was intended for use while the vehicle was stationary (transfer case in neutral). The PTO can be engaged simultaneously with the transfer case for vehicle movement. The RPM of the PTO and engaged transfer case can not be separated. Remember that the hydromatic tranny has both high / low ranges, the transfer is a single speed design. We have a M215 dump truck, the dump mechanism hydraulics are controlled by the PTO. It is difficult for me to raise the dump bed and control forward movement when attempting to spread gravel / dirt.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks