• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M135 recovery in CA.

Greasy

Last weekend Halftrackkid and I made a trek out in the foothills East of Bakersfield, CA. to recover a WW2 CCKW sitting on a ranch about to be cut up for scrap. The ranch had been sold, the new owners wanted everything "Gone". Neither Halftrackkid or I could let a pice of history meet the scrap man's torch (plus the price was right ;-)). We loaded up our trucks, grabbed the equipment trailer and headed out about an hours drive East. When we found the Ranch, sitting in the back corner was a yellow M220! After a closer examination, I found out it started out life as a M135, accepted on 1/51. The truck is in remarkable shape. The only thing missing is the bed, and the wheels have been changed to over to the M220/M35 style. The data plates and frame are stamped M135 and is still 24volt! The Ranch boss told us this truck has been sitting in the same spot for over 20 years that he has been working at the Ranch. Believe it or not, all 10 tires hold air (25psi)! After moving a concrete feeding trough and telephone posts out of the way, I backed up my M-880 to pull her out. Lets just say, the M-880 earned her keep this weekend! After several attempts and digging the sunk-to-the-rim wheels out of the ground, before Mother Nature decided to let go. The big DODGE WON!!!!

M-135-5.jpg
M-135-3.jpgM-135-2.jpgM-135.jpgM-135-4.jpgNext we will dive into seeing if we can bring her back to life....

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice looking m135 disguised as a M211. I always wonder how that happens?

Would you post a picture of the rear hub?
Does it have a title?
Does the number on the dask plate match the number on the frame? (Above the RF tire)
keep us posted! :smile:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M880's have incredible pulling capability! The GMC looks to be a Memphis Equipment overhaul? Is there a data plate under the driver's door?

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like Chief919 said, that may be one of the first.

I was curious about the serial numbers and started a search on the G749. Here's a 2009 post with some familiar names and one post talking about a 082 number on his data plate. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?29915-Historical-questions-on-early-deuces

a new link I found for Manuals http://portrayal.com/manuals.html

and not so MV related but old GM related.... a link about deciphering serial numbers.

http://www.oldgmctrucks.com/page0010.html

Great find, hopefully you'll post pics some day for us GM lovers, of the Deuce pulling the Dodge out of a hole.;-)

cmpman

Speaking of early serial numbers, I saw serial number 15 on a XM222 (cab only) here in Canada not that long ago. An American built truck, but ended up in Canadian service. I will likely rescue the data plate for my collection.

a new link I found for Manuals http://portrayal.com/manuals.html
Portrayal press mentions on their homepage that, due to health reasons, they are soon closing down, so don't wait too long to buy from them.
After 32 years in business PORTRAYAL PRESS IS CLOSING DOWN....

PORTRAYAL PRESS is going out of business permanently - Everything is for sale - Including high quality reprint manuals

(often better than the "original") on WW2 jeeps, WW2 and M37 Dodges, AND many other related manuals. (Look at our adjacent advert.)

This is your last opportunity to get them while you can. We are selling to the bare walls, due to health reasons.

Do not pass up this last chance....... "First comes, first gets".

Our phone and fax service is "down" - (not functioning) -

PO Box 1190, Andover, NJ 07821 is operable, but slow at times.

Email is "best" - for questions ---- info@portrayal.com

Mail checks or money orders - no credit or other "plastic" cards -

to the above PO box.

Thank You, Dennis R. Spence, Owner

Last edited:

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greasy, You need a winch, pto for the truck?
I have one in the classifieds for sale.

Nice save!!!!

Greasy

Update:

I was wrong on the "Date of Delivery", she was accepted on 1/52 (what I get for not writing it down). Serial #4890. I'm going over to Halftrackkid's place today and I will get more pictures. Here are shots of the data plate.

IMG_6954.jpgIMG_7750.jpg

Greasy

Nice looking m135 disguised as a M211. I always wonder how that happens?

Would you post a picture of the rear hub?
Does it have a title?
Does the number on the dask plate match the number on the frame? (Above the RF tire)
keep us posted! :smile:
Hendersond, here are some pictures of the rear hubs.

IMG_4986.jpgIMG_5934.jpg

Greasy

M880's have incredible pulling capability! The GMC looks to be a Memphis Equipment overhaul? Is there a data plate under the driver's door?
NDT,
I did not find a Memphis Equipment tag. There is a cast steel/aluminum name plate attached between the left front fender and the door. Anyone heard of them?
IMG_8388.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks