• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M151A2 master cylinder plunger - it's stuck

Maple Leaf Eh

Fellow M151A2 owners' suggestions sought.

My A2 went off the road in 2018 with an obnoxious engine knock. I got busy with an estate, had some more important life business to get through, the lockdowns started, and the Jeep didn't go into rebuild until 2021. My builder did a full body strip and repaired lots of bad sheet metal. The mechanicals were removed and reinstalled, except for a tested Take Off motor. The brakes before the build were pretty snappy! However, since June 2024 when I got it back, the brake pedal has nearly no resistance.

I tried bleeding the lines, but the plunger on the master seems to be stuck in. My builder had the Devil's own time reinstalling the pedal and master assembly, and he's extremely reluctant to get into it again. (He's bigger than me and neither of us have small arms or hands, not to mention we're not circus contortionists. And this was his last build - ever.)

What fixes (and I have the TMs) might I consider to move the plunger - without disassembling the installation? Can the plunger be moved from the footwell?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your A2 had ROPS installed, the light switch was moved over. If you remove the light switch, you have better access to the bolts for the MC. Just follow the TM to remove the master cylinder, I did it and it wasn't that difficult and I also have large hands. I replaced my MC with an NOS one and all of my problems disappeared, and it wasn't that expensive. However, one thing to remember is that there are two different copper washers and they need to be replaced. They are a different size and it is important to get the correct ones or you will have leaks. Another note is that the NOS MC I purchased had a very cheap cap on it that didn't have a vent hole, so save the one from your old MC which is likely better. Make sure you use the correct brake fluid. DOT 5 is not compatible with DOT 3 or 4 or 5A.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure if it would help. I didn't do it. Removing he light switch only helps if ROPS was installed and the light switch was relocated to the right. The TM is actually very good at describing the process of switching the MC, but doesn't mention the part about the light switch. Be careful of sharp metal when switching the MC. I had several cuts on my hands from the process.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks