• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M16A2 "African Queen"

1943ht

Am finally getting some time to work on my M16A2 Preservation Project the African Queen. Had my nephew from CO here this week so we decided to start working on my beast in addition to working on my Maxson Turret.

Had two stripped head bolts when I recovered her and got my baby running and have wanted to replace them with studs for several years ..but with multiple deployments (back-to-back) and recovery time spent in the Wounded Warrior Unit, had not had the opportunity. So this week with an extra pair of hands and being well on the way to recovery from last weeks surgery :cry: , we yanked the hood, pulled the head and went to work. Bored out the existing threads with a 17/32 bit and then tapped the block and installed two (NOS) studs that were the fix for this issue back in the day due to some bad info regards torque values in some of the original HT manuals

A new head gasket, change of oil and a little anti-freeze top-up, and I am set to fire up the beast when the weather improves a bit. Next project is to finish up the dashboard wiring harness and headlight harness and then I want to replace the clutch, pressure plate and throw-out bearing with the new one that has been sitting in its crate since 1944.

More updates will follow, as progress allows 8)

P1280021.jpgP1280022.jpgP1280024.jpgP1280025.jpgP1280028.jpgP1280032.jpgView attachment AfricanQueen.pdf

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I was going to come here and suggest you link your original thread so all the new guys who are unfamiliar with your story could see it........ but I see you've got it in your signature line.

Glad to see you having a chance to play with it.