• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M172 / M870 Trailers

D6c

I came across this M172 that has been trimmed down in width to 102" from the stock 115" and was wondering if anyone has seen it done and how much work it would be. Sure would make it more useable not having to get permits all the time even when empty.
I see the M172's on Gov't Liqidation once in a while...what's the average selling price?

While I'm wishing...I'd love to have one of the M870A2 or M870A2s 40 ton trailers. Have any of them found there way to the surplus market?

One thing I haven't been able to find is any pics or info on the method of lowering/raising the folding front of the trailer. They don't seem to be hydraulic like many commercial trailers. Some of the trucks like the M916 have a winch that might be used, but others like the M818 don't, so what the method of raising a loader trailer?

Attachments

mudguppy

...One thing I haven't been able to find is any pics or info on the method of lowering/raising the folding front of the trailer. They don't seem to be hydraulic like many commercial trailers. Some of the trucks like the M916 have a winch that might be used, but others like the M818 don't, so what the method of raising a loader trailer?
i've never seen one on the back of anything else except a 916 or 920 - rear winch is always used to load/unload AFAIK...

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Both the 172's and 870's bring around $3000. You just missed a 870 last week at RRAD. The 172 in the picture was made by cutting off the side channel and shortening the crossmembers, and then rewelding the side channel. The axles were not narrowed and they are 103" tire outside to outside, still illegal. If this trailer is for sale do not buy it sight unseen. It is a ton of work to narrow one of these trailers, you are better off permitting all the time or just run it.

Mudguppy is right, no way to fold /unfold the 870 gooseneck without a winch.

Welcome to Steel Soldiers.

D6c

The M172 was listed for sale for $7500 but was marked as previously sold.

Winch only loading might be a deal breaker since you'd have a tough time using it with a commercial truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks