• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M200A1 mods

123mack

A week ago I recovered a much modified M200A1 from Eglin AFB. The fenders, parking brakes, and the entire air brake had been removed. A commercial trailer plug and a surge brake were added. I would like to mount my S-250 shelter on it, but there is not enough width between the tires. The shelter measures 48" and width between the tires is 45". Since I would like to keep the shelter as low as possible, I don't want to use blocks to raise it above the tires. The options I see so far are: remove the duals and install one wheel with dish in, or, install some sort of spacer, or what I would prefer, find a 6 lug wheel with less or no dish. Anyone know what kind of rim that would be? I'm also going to need parking brake handles and cable plus a lunette. The surge brake is too low for my M35A2, so I'll sell or trade it for what I need.

Attachments

Lorax

I'm also wondering about the tires. I have an M200 chassis and a M105 bed to put on it. The inside tires are too narrow to fit in the bed fender wells, and the outside tires are wider than the bed. I'd like to either flip the hubs if it can be done on an M200, or put none-dual tires on the trailer. The bed could be raised up on blocks, but that just raises the center of gravity.

123mack

I've looked at the hubs and they are set up different from the M35. Don't think they can be flipped. The manual here in the manual section shows a super single for this trailer, but I haven't been able so far to find any details other than size.

MDSA

Why can't just the outside tires be left on? If they were turned out, so to speak, wouldn't that give you plenty of room between tires?

123mack

Could be done, just looks odd to me. Is there any mechanical reason it shouldn't be done, that is , the distance of the tire from the hub?

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hae a M105 A3 trailer that has the kind of wheels you probably would like. They have the bolt pattern about centered in the rim width. They use the 22.5 tubeless tires. Apparently they used the same axle as the M105 A2, but wanted to increase the between the fender wells distance inside the trailer body, so they used these wheels that offset the tires more toward the outside. The inner fender wells are narrower in width by about three to four inches than the M105 A2 trailers. I have not seen any other trailers like this on Gov Liquidation, so I do not know how common it would be to find them or the wheels. The wheels have the same boilt pattern as the deuce wheels used on the A2 trailers.
Regards Marti

Attachments

Lorax

After taking some measurements, the outside dual tires will stick out of the fender wells by about 3 inches. I suppose fender extensions could be installed, and the inside duals could be removed, which would solve the fender well issue.

At least there are options.

NEIOWA

A week ago I recovered a much modified M200A1 from Eglin AFB. The fenders, parking brakes, and the entire air brake had been removed. A commercial trailer plug and a surge brake were added. I would like to mount my S-250 shelter on it, but there is not enough width between the tires. The shelter measures 48" and width between the tires is 45". Since I would like to keep the shelter as low as possible, I don't want to use blocks to raise it above the tires. The options I see so far are: remove the duals and install one wheel with dish in, or, install some sort of spacer, or what I would prefer, find a 6 lug wheel with less or no dish. Anyone know what kind of rim that would be? I'm also going to need parking brake handles and cable plus a lunette. The surge brake is too low for my M35A2, so I'll sell or trade it for what I need.

Wouldn't be less expensive time/material to just buy a different trailer? Hardly rare item. What you have is likely more valuable more useful for typical user as equipped than a stock mil chassis.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks