• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M211 axles VS M135 axles.

Bigo1966

So what is the difference between the M211 axles and the M135 axles. I obviously want to run singles and im thinking all I have to do is flip the hubs and ive got M135 axles. Does anyone know anything about these axles and a hub flip? If its possible im assuming its a very similar procedure to the M35 hub flip. Any thoughts?

Thanks
Orion

JasonS

While I have not done it; I have heard that it can be done by flipping the hubs. I'd be surprised if GM would tool up for two different hubs.

mangus580

Let me be the first to Welcome David! The Deuce Guru!!

Hope you find this place a little more peaceful than some other :cough: MV places ;-)

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, the G749 trucks do not "hub flip" for single/dual configurations. Only those trucks built with the Timken/Rockwell axles, such as the G742 and G744.

dg

williamh

i have 2 m135 rear ends minus the pumpkins .... if you are interested in the parts ..the only problem is going to be the shipping costs.... i think that the diffs. are the same length .. so what you may need is just the hubs with the drums ??

if you want , ill get the measurements of the rear end without the hubs/drums .. i no longer have a m211 to get any info from .

william

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
I'll need to trot out my ORD9-SNL-G749 to verify the details of this - but as I recall the M135/M211 single/dual conversion is involves a spacer plate, and of course the offset of the steel wheels. I'll grab the ORD 9 at lunch today and let you know.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle
West Tennessee

Bigo1966

thanks guys,

williamh depending on what DDoyle finds out we might work something out. DDoyle how do you have all the info and know so much about these trucks?

once again thanks for all you help in my quest to run singles on my M211.

mangus580

David is THE Guru on the deuce. If you read Military Vehicles Magazine at all, you have probably read at least one of his articles ;-)

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Well, I grabbed the ORD 9, made notes...and now of course have no idea where I put them. I'll reinvent this wheel tomorrow. But in the mean time, be assured there is not hub flipping involved. FWIW, I wrote an in depth item on this a few years ago that was posted to the old Skylee (mil-veh) list - you may be able to turn this info up in archive form.

To answer your question, Bigo1066, I dunno that I know so much about these trucks there are others that know far more than I, however, I do have every manual I've ever found on these trucks - and the G-742 and G-744, and have read them. And of course I've pulled wrenches on these - in fact the first deuce I fooled with was a M135. I'm not much on listing stuff as a rule, but since I am new to this group, I'll list the motorpool below.

Best wishes,
David Doyle
West Tennessee

CMU-5 (on M56 chassis)
M135
M35
M35A2 w/w
M35A2
M36A2 w/w
M36A2
M45 with 210G1 LeRoi compressor
Class 530B on M45 chassis (parts donor)
Class 530C on M45 chassis
M292A2
M764 (project)
V17A/MTQ (project)
M62
M123A1C

Tom @ Snake River

converting from 211 to 135

I have done what you are talking about, and I believe that it involves totally changing out the hubs. I believe that it has to do with the brake drums, but there is no way in heck of unbolting and getting them off. There is no flipping. Tom @ Snake River
Here is a link to the picture. http://www.snakeriver4x4.com/trucks.html

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I changed an M135 to an M211. I had a donor M211 I took the rear hubs with drums off of and changed with the M135 hubs. I was advised that was how I had to do it. The drum spacing was different because of the different offset of the hub flange. The hubs and drums had to be changed as a unit. No change to axlehousing, axles, or brake plates or shoes.
I can also say the GMC axles are not nearly as tough as the Rockwells on the Reos and others. I twisted off an axle on the GMC, and took out a pinion bearing set, which are ball bearings! For an experiment, my son used a center punch on both the GMC axle shaft and one out of the Rockwell axle. The punch put a typical center point mark on the GMC axle. The Rockwell axle knocked the end of the punch flat with only a shiny spot left on the axle at the point of impact. We have never twisted a Rockwell axle.
Regards Marti

sparkylisle

Army Installations and other trivia

Tom @ Snake River said:
I have done what you are talking about, and I believe that it involves totally changing out the hubs. I believe that it has to do with the brake drums, but there is no way in heck of unbolting and getting them off. There is no flipping. Tom @ Snake River
Here is a link to the picture. http://www.snakeriver4x4.com/trucks.html
Hey Tom, on your website you have a link to a installation that was the original home of the 10th Mountain Division and you mistakenly call it a Army Base. The Army has either Posts or Camps, and the Navy, Air Force, and Marines have Bases. This is verified by the info in the link which identifies it as a camp. I've won more than one bet on the questions "How many bases does the Army have"(none), "who has the most boats, Navy or Army"(Army), and " who has the most aircraft, Army or Air Force" (Army)?

Tom @ Snake River

Winter training Camp

By George, you are right. I went back to the copies of the origional documents from the general contractor. And it is "U.S. ARMY - WINTER TRAINGING CAMP - WEST YELLOWSTONE MONTANA" You are the first to call me on that. I will try to make the appropiate corrections. Tom

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks