• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M211 / M215 Part needed

M215

Hello SS,
Need help in finding a much needed part towards my M215 restoration, hope someone can assit! I need the bracket assembly that attaches the steering column to the bottom of the dash board, this came in two styles. The earlier type was a rubber block with metal hardware, the later type was an all metal arched bracket. I have checked with Memphis equip. and Alfahaven with no luck. The earlier type that I have, the rubber deteriorated, both styles should interchange? I can look up the NSN if it would help. Any imput will be appeciated.
Thanks, Karl

deuceman51

If I were you, I would just go to Napa or some other automotive supply and see if they can sell that rubber block to you. You could then just shape it as needed rather than spending money on a whole new bracket. That is what I do with a lot of my gaskets and things like that to save $$$$$. Maybe that isn't the part you are talking about, I will have to look at my truck to get a better idea of exactly what you are describing. Good luck.

M215

Deuceman
Thanks for the suggestion, I'm always impressed what the good parts stores can get, like NAPA, but I don't think they can help on this one. Took some pictures today, the rubber is bonded between to metal plates. The one I have the rubber is deteriorating and brittle.
Thanks, Karl

deuceman51

Not sure what to tell you about that one, any rubber you will find now days will not be too fresh for those trucks. I wish you good luck and i'll keep my ears open if I can think of anyone who could help. Would really like to see some more pics of your truck though, it looked nice from those pics. good luck.

j land

I have the same problem with mine, I was thinking of fabricating a piece of steel to go in place of the rubber block, if i can pull it off ill post pictures and measurements.

M215

J Land,
I have found during the restoration of my M215 if a part is NA, them you figure out a way to make it. A good example was the fuel pump housing for my M215's fuel tank, none could be located (the M215 & M221 have a shorter and taller tank). I ended up getting two housings from a M211 then cut and welded together to get the length needed.

Check out these pictures (sorry for poor quality) from TM 9-8024. The early style steering column support with the rubber block has a different clamp at the column than the later type. The later type with the arched steel support would be easier to fabricate, or just locate the whole thing off of a parts truck, if I could be lucky enough!
Any thoughts are appreciated, Karl

Tony

M211/M215 part needed -- steering colume to dash mount

jland, I would not replace the rubber mount with solid steel, the rubber mount acts as a vib cushion/shock absorbor. Think that was the original intent. I agree with the other sugestions to make one out of the hard rubber. Good luck.

Tony

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks