• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m211 purchase - front drive shaft missing.

Pheadrus

Hi everyone.
I'm hoping to get some advice on the possible purchase of a 1953 M211. The owner called it a 1953 M135 but with the dually rear axles wouldn't it be a M211?
It runs and drives and has a clear title(which I know is a big plus). The owner bought it from a local VFW where it was only used in parades for the last thirty years. He was going to do a "Bobber" project with it but lost interest. While with the VFW, it received regular maintenance like; recent new battery, recent tune up, new fuel tank and pump, just to name a few things. Know negatives are it has an exhaust leak where the manifold bolts to the exhaust and the front drive shaft is missing. Apparently it was taken off in order to do some exhaust repair years ago and it never got replaced. It also comes with a set of six Goodyear MV/T 395/85R20 that were for the boober project(he will sell the truck without these tires). They are mounted on military rims and have new tubes. They don't leak a bit of air and have about 80+% tread.
He will sell the truck and tires for $2800. For just the truck I think he wants around $1200-1400. The downside is it's 5 hours away from me. I might have to factor in the cost of getting it floated home. He believes it will make the trip no problem but with the colder temps and 4 mpg mileage, trailering it home might be best. Can I run the tires on the truck if I don't "bob" it? Or are they too big for the tandem axles? How hard is a front drive shaft to find and whats the going price? The truck would be used on our 13 acre farm for mostly fun, parades, some wood hauling and I would like to put a snow plow set up on it if it's feasible. What do you guys think of the price? Are the tires worth grabbing?
Thanks for all advice and knowledge, Steve.
6x6e.jpg6x6e.jpg6x6c.jpg6x6d.jpg6x6a.jpg6x6c.jpg6x6b.jpg6x6d.jpg6x6e.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't answer all the questions yet but will get back to ya.

A running deuce, well re-built, splash paint job sold for 8G here recently.

I invested close to 12G getting mine road ready because I hired mechanics to do some of the heavier work. I'll never get that back unless I find a guy with a bigger heart and a smaller head then me.

The trucks are certainly not about financial investment however the emotional investment, ride, pride, one-off manship and Service Member recognition is over the top with the G749. More kids in Canada rode in the Deuce in training then most other trucks. They are not being saved because they are a bear to re-build and maintain. If you like a challenge, get on and ride it.

You are in the heart of parts and if I found her.....she'd already be in my driveway.

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not to familiar with a M211 front drive shaft , but if its standard U joints just have one made , it would be easier than trying to find a NOS or LKQ shaft .

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome!
Nice find. Looks like a M211, but check the data plate in the cab and the numbers on the front frame just above the passenger side front axle. May start out with M211...
I guess I would grab a bottle jack and bolt a front wheel on. Nothing worse than tearing a fender off when you turn or when the suspension flexes. hard to say without seeing the offset on the rims, but I bet you have problems.
Driveshaft should be easy. There are many sources for used parts. I think I even have a couple...
You cannot beat the price. It would be mine if it were in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa or even in the Dakotas at that price.

If you are nervous about the drive, have the seller deliver it. I got a quote to haul one 2 years ago it was $3 a loaded mile, so I drove it and got between 3-6 mpg depending on how fast I went. 45 mph was ideal. If I were doing it I would set up hauling with a 20,000# gooseneck trailer as a back up plan and attempt to drive it home. If it gives you problems, make the phone call. I drove mine 700 miles home. It took 4 attempts and 2 months, but in the end I learned about my truck and spent more than the cost to haul. I did not have a good plan. Any way that truck should weigh in at 12,500# if I remember correctly.
Lastly, Read as many posts here as you can. I think we must have covered everything.
Dan

Stan Leschert

M 211 for sure. the 135 had a lower bed with fenderwells, so it was easier for troops to climb into. Looks not bad, Unknown trucks always make their first ride on a trailer .... it is way cheaper that way!

Section8

I would be all over it if it were closer to me. There are a couple that are 4 to 5 hours away that are pretty much just a step from being garbage and they are listed for 3500. That is a non running, rusted out, no glass,no motor (usually) shell.
If you can get it all the running truck and those 395's (which I would give my left nut for!!) For under 3000 and its got a title!!! Grab it!!!!
You seem to know some of the history on it so it was apparently somewhat looked after which is an added bonus. Getting a frontdrive shaft made shouldn't be to pricey or finding an original used one to hard. I would still have it hauled or find a friend with a big enough trailer to bring it home though. As already stated, just like an unproven rifle, it could blow up in your face on the trip home.
However that maiden trip home could be an epic adventure to start your endenture with the truck. By the time you got home you would know it quite well I would imagine.
Still haul it for safety reasons before driving to ensure all components are up to the task and you don't have a breakdown.
My two cents here.
Grab it!!

Pheadrus

Thanks for all the advice and info guys. I'm trying to make the numbers work so I can grab it. Towing companies locally want $120/hour to lowboy it. It's 10 hours round trip with another 1-2 hours at the border crossing. So worse case scenario, the tow bill would be around $1400-$1500. Driving it at 4mpg would be around $230 in fuel. I'm on permanent disability so that's a big difference for me. Even if it made it halfway and then I had to tow it, I would still save $600-$800. I just don't know if my bad back can take 5 hours in it driving. How rough is the ride on Highway roads? What is the top speed I can safely go?
I've worked on regular cars and classic cars for over 20 years so I know the risks of tempting fate with a new project. But great risk brings great reward. The seller also said it could stay on his farm until Spring if necessary.
Thanks, Steve.

SteveKuhn

These aren't my trucks, but I wish they were. If I was thinking about driving it home, I'd figure on a top speed of 40 mph and that would be after an hour or so of working up to it -- and I'm not sure I'd keep it there for long periods. Even though it might run fine for the local trips it's been taking, the long haul might shake out some gremlins that have been hiding. I'd just be real conservative. Cost for half way and then tow it is one thing if it just quits but it could be a lot more if something major gives out and you end up needing to replace large parts.

I hope you can work it out. If it was nearby me, I'd be killing myself to find the money.

Just a perspective.

Steve

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks