• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M211 stuck in low range

Tom B

my M211 is stuck in low range.this is its 3rd transmission and its not getting a fourth. i have read the problem is in the reduction unit.my question is can the reduction unit come off the rear of the trans with the transfer case installed.how far does it have to slide back to come off,also what am I looking for once it is off.trans has good pump pressure and shifts in low range .I have had this truck since 1993 and I would like to keep it going Thanks Tom

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would be extremely difficult to disassemble the reduction unit while still in the truck. Try this, get the truck moving about 5 mph and put the lever in high. Makes a huge bang but it unsticks mine every time.

Tom B

Thanks NDT and Stan for your replys .I have read the Hydra Matic Heaven writeup many times.I It says apart may have broken in the reduction unit ,a common failure then goes on to say the trans works without it I dont get it.I am going to try the big bang method .A lot less labor involved Regards Tom B

drlogistics

I am pretty sure that what Major Tom meant was that the trans works without that part installed. It sounds like the wavey release spring. Picture a large snap ring that is wavey instead of dead flat. Yours may be broken which is keeping the trans from going into high range. You can get the reduction unit off without pulling the trans but it sounds like you've had plenty of experience pulling them.