• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35 brake problems

iwantmud

This is my first deuce and I AM LOST!!!! I am get nothing from my brakes. When i push down the pedel there is no resistance and there is air that comes out of a tube that comes down by the turbo. Also, I been looking for where to add fluid and im lost.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Do a search for speed bleeder, it is a WONDERFULL tool to help bleed brakes by your lonesome. That air coming out of the slobber tube could mean you need to rebuild the airpack, but its hard to tell with no fluid in the system.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Trying not to be all knowing but if you can't find the master cylinder, you really need to read some manuals. That is a critical item you need to be fully familiar with before you put this truck on the road. Click on the resource tab above and click on Tech Manuals. You need TM 9-2320-361-10 (Operators Manual) and TM 9-2320-361-20 (Unit Maintenance Manual). There is a wealth of valuable info in there to assist you before you road that truck.

jimm1009

brake problems

Welcome aboard and you REALLY did come to the right place.

The fluid is added through a access door about where your right knee would be over the floor board while seated in the drivers seat.
If you have a winch, the door is just to the left of the PTO engagement handle.

Blow off the area if you can with a air hose. You will need a short 11/16 or 3/4 wrench to remove the cap from the top of the reservoir.
DOT 5 fluid (not 5.1) is what is needed.
If you can pour very slowing, you can get away without a funnel but most of us (me) use a transmission filler funnel (very long spout).
If you read the Lube order it will show you a little more on the general servicing of your truck.
Attached is a single page from one of the TMs that shows a little detail about where you need to be.
You can download the TMs here on the S.S. site by going to the Reseouces section but this one page is in the middle of the process and is a good place to start.
Ask if you have ANY questions. You may have to right-click and "save-as" the PDF page to your desk top in order to open it.
Jim

Attachments

Last edited:

iwantmud

Thanks guys, yall have been really helpfull. Like i said this is my first deuce and it is a whole diffrent critter then what i am used too. Thanks

kc5mzd

Any pics of the truck? They are fairly easy to work on. Everything is just big and heavy. I am always discovering new things on my trucks.

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have found (thanks DLawbrey) that the easiest method to pur if you don't have a funnel is to take a 20 oz soda bottle, cleasn it **really** good and pour from it. The access door is on the floorboard between your feet. It may have a bolt holding it closed.

Good luck.

Oh, and uh....

nopics

iwantmud

I have been trying to find the " how make the homemade power bleeder" and all the links i have found dont come up anymore. Anyone have an up to date link.

Barrman

Welcome to the madness. Did you drive the truck through Giddings Tuesday? I have been out of town the last few days. but, 3 people at work today have said they saw "You and your truck heading towards Brenham" Tuesday.

I don't have the link to the power bleader thread. Basically, all you need is a container of brake fluid that can be pressurized and hooked into the master cylinder. A garden insecticide sprayer with a different hose and fittings allowing it to screw into the vent on the master cylinder cap is what most people do.

iwantmud

I picked my truck up last saturday from Tomball. I got my buddy to drive it home while drove my dodge with A/C and a radio :twisted:. I will work on the brakes this weekend when i take the big a$$ box of the back and get ready to start bobbing it. I will put some pics when i start. Thanks for the brake tips.

iwantmud

I already promised the bed to someone. I will let you know if i need any brake parts. I mess with the brakes when i get done bobbing it; which should be next weekend.