• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Fiberglass Tops

tshields

Hi all,

I'm new here and just picked up a 1966 M35 this weekend and I was wondering if anybody knew a good place to pick up a fiberglass top for the M35's? This is a great site!!

Thanks,

Terry
Denver, CO

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Why not get a metal one from SECO Augusta?
You don't happen to know what SECO gets for a decent hardtop, do you? I kind of want a hardtop.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SECO's site had them on special. I don't remember whether it was 795 or 895.

tshields

The steel tops at SECO are $850, I'm checking with them to see what shipping will be. I also sent John an email to check on the fiberglass tops. Thanks guys!

Terry

houdel

tshields said:
The steel tops at SECO are $850, I'm checking with them to see what shipping will be. I also sent John an email to check on the fiberglass tops. Thanks guys!
Terry
Terry - Let us know what you get for prices from SECO and John, including shipping. Up here in NW Michigan, wintertime temps vary from below freezing to below zero. Not real comfortable to drive with a soft top and 1" - 2" gaps at the top and rear of both side side windows. I'd consider new weatherstrips, but I'd rather go with a hardtop and THEN replace the weatherstrips! I understand the hard tops CAN be shipped UPS, it kind of p****s off the drivers, but they will ship them. Thanks, Lee

tshields

Well, not much luck so far!! I called SECO and they seemed shocked that they had a monthly specail on the hard tops and it is now removed from the web page, they still have not called me back with a shipping quote. I found a number of places selling fiberglass tops, all but one weren't very helpful when it came to shipping. The one that was helpful, actually gave an estimated shipping quote of $212. I talked to John Tennis and he has never shipped one, he gave me the name of a dealer that markets them here in Colorado but the saleman hasn't called me back yet. He may be upset because I test drove but did not buy one of his M35's. :? Seems like everything for these trucks is on the east coast! I will probably buy the fiberglass top from the only place that was willing to ship it.

Terry

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
It is funny that this came up because I was considering making a fiberglass top for my duece. I was going to use heavy cloth and an old metal one for a pattern. I thought it would be a great project for this spring or summer. The other thing I was thinking was to make a cab out of LUAN and fiberglass over it. The bonus to this would be to be able to build in speaker boxes and shelves.

devilman96

Some places are a little TOO PROUD of their glass tops for my liking... glass work is glass work... its not a bloody art form!!!

I had to laugh at the SECO reaction, that "special" has been there for about two years now... .

Your best bet would be to pick one up at a show if at all possible...

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Let me just say that there will be penguins and polar bears in Hades before I spent $800 on a hardtop.

Seriously, stay calm, put the crackpipe down, call a clinic.

houdel

tshields said:
Seems like everything for these trucks is on the east coast! I will probably buy the fiberglass top from the only place that was willing to ship it. Terry
I have HEARD, but not been able to verify, that UPS WILL ship a Deuce hardtop. I doubt they are real thrilled to do so, but at least one SS member said he got his shipped via UPS. I don't know how to verify if this is fact though. Can anyone else chime in with more insight on UPS's willingness to ship a Deuce hardtop?

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
OPCOM said:
can you stand on a fiberglass hardtop? Can I stand on a fiberglass hardtop?
UPS will test this for you for free. Working the unload at UPS(HELL!!!) for one summer I can tell you I did my share of testing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks