• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 in use questions

collector

Hello. I am British, living in USA.

I read something about the M35s, and perhaps other military equipment, can only be owned by Americans. Is this true ?

I could get around this by registering a truck to my US registered company, or to an American friend.

I always liked the M35s but never had a good excuse to buy one before now. I have a client that stores dies with me. This client needs a die just a few times a year, but likes to have them delivered, rather than come to collect. From January 2008, I will be responsible for this client. Some of the dies weigh up to 5 tons.

With the 5 ton axles, is the M35 a suitable vehicle to deliver / collect these heavy dies with ?

The client usually only requests use of one die at a time, so the weight limitation of one isn't a problem. The alternative is to simply buy a regular flatback truck, but I would like to give the M35 a look in if possible.

Any advice on this and the ownership question, much appreciated !

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I'd just find one that is for sale by a private owner. If you move in southern In. there may be members available for help. Welcome to the site.

acetomatoco

As far as carrying the 5 ton dies, look at the specs for the truck... The carrying capacity cross country is 2 1/2 tons, but on the road is 5 tons...and overloading the gov't specs is routinely done. So long as you don't have too far to travel, such as 100s of miles, you should be fine. In the winter in IN you will need tire chains as the NDT and NDCC tires are terrible in slippery conditions. In my opinion, rental of a truck to move the dies on a few times a year basis will be more economical.

Blood_of_Tyrants

If this is purely an economical decision, you would be better off renting a truck and hiring someone to deliver the die.

If this is an, "I want a deuce to play with when I'm not using it for business" decision, then by all means, get a deuce. Be prepared to do some work to them, after all, they ARE fairly old trucks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks