• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 terminology

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, since I am about to join the ranks of deuce owners, there is some terminology that I have yet to understand. Please define the following for me since I am new to big trucks and am learning. Thanks,

Top Loader

Sprag

Torque Rod

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Top Loader...The type of differentials used in the M35 series, it's put in the housing from the top.
Sprag..........One of two types of t-cases used in these beasts. The Sprag is sort of an auto type that works only if you use 1st and rev. when starting out, the air type uses a lever on/under the dash to engage the front end. My sprag...well, that's another story!!
Torque Rod....The "Dog Bone" lookin' things attached to the rear diffs from the frame, used to keep the diffs in line and not let them walk side to side too far. One on top and two on the bottom at each rear diff.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Differntial internals are inserted from the top (horizontal plane) on G-742 vehicles - conventional differentials go together from the vertical plane.

Torque rod - when you throttle up a vehicle, the force that turns the wheel also tries to turn the axle in the opposite direction. On a typical rear wheel drive passenger car this force is resisted by the spring - which does allow some movement (and wheel hop under severe power applications). The torque rod adds rigidity to the suspension, to counter these and as well as side to side forces.

Sprag - often misapplied term. When applied to 6x6 trucks, what most people mean is that the truck is equipped with automatic front axle engagement via overrunning clutch. The same system is used on G-744 and 809 series trucks. Two clutch units are provided in the transfer case, one for forward, the other for reverse. On the 2 1/2 ton, the selection of sprag is achieved by a mechanical linkage attached to the shift top. On the five ton an air solenoid did this - again, linked to the shifter. The mechanical linkage required periodic adjustment, which many folks in and out of the army don't do. It also requires that the driver move the shift lever through first (even if starting in second) when coming out of reverse, as this action selects the "forward" clutch unit. Beyond that, the engagement of the front axle is automatic in all five forward gears, engaging when slippage of the rear axles is detected. Driver and mechanic laziness are the reasons that the "air-shift" transfer case was developed. In this instance front axle engagement is controlled by an air valve on the dashboard.

I've got trucks of both types, and have had no trouble from either.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
David Doyle, Will you ever be out his way? I need help with my sprag. I've tried doing it by the book and with new parts! H E L P M E! I can't do it.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Will, send me your email address, I'll send you some info that should help. Unlikely to be that far west myself.

DD

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Will,

I'd be happy to help ya. I don't know a thing about it but I'd love to help and learn.

ATC

So basically it has a full-time transfer case? A clutch inside engauges the front axle once the rear starts to slip?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: M35 terminology

ATC said:
So basically it has a full-time transfer case? A clutch inside engauges the front axle once the rear starts to slip?
Yes, this is correct. The front and rear ratios in the transfer case are slightly different to keep the overrunning clutch from engaging. Once the speed of the rear axles exceeds the speed of the front axle, the overrrunning clutch engages and starts front drive. Also, here in swamp buggy land they call the axles top loaders and L drives too but Meritor/ Rockwell/ Timken called them doube reduction.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: M35 terminology

Speeding up the front wheels would also help in turning in slippery conditions. Thought about using larger front tires for that reason a long time ago....

ATC

Re: RE: M35 terminology

Recovry4x4 said:
ATC said:
Yes, this is correct. The front and rear ratios in the transfer case are slightly different to keep the overrunning clutch from engaging. Once the speed of the rear axles exceeds the speed of the front axle, the overrrunning clutch engages and starts front drive. Also, here in swamp buggy land they call the axles top loaders and L drives too but Meritor/ Rockwell/ Timken called them doube reduction.
Are the clutches inside prone to wearing out?

Also, I am no stranger to the Rockwells. I've been into fourwheeling BIG ever since I could walk. :wink:

Thanks for the info!