• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A1 or A2?

EO2NMCB

Well never thought about it before, but after reading many post is my truck a A1 or A2? The reason I ask is that the truck has no stack, it has the hoz exhaust that runs under the bed. Dad bought it from DRMO in 2000, Data plates state M35A2C WO/W , it does have the drop sides. Built under a 1970 contract with a LD465 N/A, Also it went thru a depot rebuild in 1988 at Tooele showing low mileage and hours.

Thanks in advance

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Its an A2. The last of the A1's was builit in 1964, and none of them left the factory with drop sides. The A1 was manufactured with a LDS-427 engine, which was considered the "standard" engine for the truck until June 1965.

From your posting, I think the exhaust orientation is what is confusing you. The A1 had a horizontal exhaust, as did the A2 up until about 1968-69 (have to check my notes to be more specific). Then it got a vertical exhaust (both of these on LD-465 engines). In about 1971-72 the engine changed to LDT-465, and all these have vertical exhausts.

Whether horizontal or vertical exhaust, if the truck left the factory with a LD-465 or LDT-465, it is a M35A2. Note, some of the M35A1 were repowered by the army with LD-465 or LDT-465 engines, but they are still considered M35A1 if they were built as M35A1, regardless of the powerplant now installed.

I'll try to turn up my notes and revise this posting with more specific info.

Hope this helps,
David Doyle

54reo

Hey EO2NMCB,

Not to hi-jack this post, but welcome to SS!

Good to see a SS fairly close to me! I'm roughly an hour south of you.

Brian

acetomatoco

Lots of M35 Gassers were updated with kits by the NG and AR outfits. Had engine, OD tranny, fuel tank, gauge panel, steering gear?, and a bunch of neat stuff...including a new left fender with clearance for the IP and requiring a heater mounting plate... Many of these outfits did not install the new fender, saving it for wreck repair on other trucks... thus making it hard to service the IP without removing the fender..I had a couple from the OMS at Devens in the 80s... One of them was my Water Purification Unita...what a heavy dog....and its nomenclature remained M44 even with the updated engine... to validate comments above..

FrankUSMC

I will be posting later on the M35A1, I just won at Camp Lujeune, NC. It is posted as a M35A1, but has an air ride seat, air switch front axle, and the verticle exhaust on it. Like I said, I will be posting later as to what motor is in it.
One of the few, Frank USMC

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Re: RE: M35A1 or A2?

FrankUSMC said:
I will be posting later on the M35A1, I just won at Camp Lujeune, NC. It is posted as a M35A1, but has an air ride seat, air switch front axle, and the verticle exhaust on it. Like I said, I will be posting later as to what motor is in it.
One of the few, Frank USMC
While your at it - how about posting (or PMing) the mfrs serial number (VIN) - that is what will tell what model it is (and it will help with my research).

Best wishes,
David

EO2NMCB

RE: Re: RE: M35A1 or A2?

Thanks for all the help, forgot to state its a AM Gen...vin NK04JR054011365.

thanks again
charlie

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Guess that was my cue to jump in...

Here's what I found:

Last Organization: 1ST BN 202D AIR DEFENSE ARTILLERY BTRY A (IL Army National Guard)
Nomenclature:TRUCK CARGO 2-1/2T
Model:M35A2C
NSN:2320009260873
Serial Number: 54011365 Registration Number:NK04JR
Year of Mfg: 1972
Manufacturer: 65909 (cage code)
Usage Miles: 44798 (when transferred)

Vehicle went to the 834 Engineer Company in DAVENPORT IOWA (Iowa Army National Guard) but that unit never officially accepted the transfer. The unit was shut down in 1996 so the vehicle probably (assumption) went to DRMO.

No other info found.

EO2NMCB

Thanks so very much Medlog & DDoyle!!!! Since its a 72 model and has the exhaust running under the bed, could it have been wreaked some time while in the IL guard and been repaired with early parts?

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
EO2NMCB said:
Thanks so very much Medlog & DDoyle!!!! Since its a 72 model and has the exhaust running under the bed, could it have been wreaked some time while in the IL guard and been repaired with early parts?
The big question is - is the VIN you supplied from the data plate, or the frame rail? If from the data plate, give us the number from the frame rail please.

Regards,
David

EO2NMCB

The vin is off the data plate. I'm out here on the road, so when I get home for xmas I'll see if I can find it on the frame rail.

thanks again
charlie

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Charlie,
As I suspected, someone swapped the data plates on your truck. You have a 1966 M35A2 built by Kaiser Jeep. It was assigned army registration number 4H3913, and did not have a dropside bed when it left the factory.

When new the truck would have had a LD-465 naturally-aspirated Multifuel engine and horizontal exhaust. This was the typical type of truck used by US troops in Vietnam (comparitively, VERY few photos have surfaced of M35A2s with vertical exhaust in Vietnam). It would have had a box type driver's seat when new as well.

Hope this helps,
David

EO2NMCB

Thanks, well the army would have swaped the data plates as we bought it from drmo. But in reading some of the old post one from 2006 you had asked about 0125 trucks with a NKOXXXXX registration number would this be of those trucks?

thanks again

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks