• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 “Tick Tick Tick Tick” from Transmission

Dasgog

Hello!

first I want to mention I’ve not heard a single noise from transmission area (in cab) since I got it.

I took it off road into the mountains and didn’t exceed 15 mph or ever get out of 2nd in High. I left it in high because some areas was a smooth faster drive.
Anyway there were a LOT of bounces and all over the place movements. After we got back onto the road I hear a ticka ticka ticka really fast from what seems under the shifter area. At idle it’s there and gets loud til I am fast enough to not really hear it but it’s there. I assume all the bounces knocked something loose?
I don’t even know where to begin. At idle when I laid under the vehicle I saw nothing abnormal.

suggestions?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you saying that you can hear the ticking at idel (when the truck is standing still) or when the truck is driving in gear idling along? I assume the ticking is not present when stationary. Try it on a hard surface, low range, and see if it ticks in each gear.

I would probably remove the top cover of the transmission and check the teeth of the gears very carefully, especially on the countershaft - as much as you can see them all. A broken tooth is not immediate doom but you do not want that piece to get in between two meshing sets of gears!

Last edited:

Dasgog

Are you saying that you can hear the ticking at idel (when the truck is standing still) or when the truck is driving in gear idling along? I assume the ticking is not present when stationary. Try it on a hard surface, low range, and see if it ticks in each gear.

I would probably remove the top cover of the transmission and check the teeth of the gears very carefully, especially on the countershaft - as much as you can see them all. A broken tooth is not immediate doom but you do not want that piece to get in between two meshing sets of gears!
I can not say for sure if it is at idle. When I get home tonight after work I will try to recreate it and notice when the noise begins and what not. Top cover of transmission? Aside from where the transmission obviously is, how would I get to that position to remove and check? Would it be in the manuals?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ah...ok..so please also check with engine running, transmission in neutral, clutch depressed. Does it still tick then?

Top cover...remove floor panels, wipe dirt off the tranny cover (to prevent dirt from falling into the inside of the tranny) and remove the 8 or so bolts that hold the cover in place. Yes @ manuals.

Dasgog

Ah...ok..so please also check with engine running, transmission in neutral, clutch depressed. Does it still tick then?

Top cover...remove floor panels, wipe dirt off the tranny cover (to prevent dirt from falling into the inside of the tranny) and remove the 8 or so bolts that hold the cover in place. Yes @ manuals.
Thank you . I apologize I still have not checked it yet got home late and was a bit overwhelmed.
the replacement of the front crank seal was a nightmare and I became an Alcoholic because of it. But now no leaks so I’m pleased.

I am hoping this noise was a glitch but when I start it I’ll log when the noise happens and at what temps etc. I am going to do a transmission fluid change first though, I know it’s been at least 5 years.

Dasgog

Thank you . I apologize I still have not checked it yet got home late and was a bit overwhelmed.
the replacement of the front crank seal was a nightmare and I became an Alcoholic because of it. But now no leaks so I’m pleased.

I am hoping this noise was a glitch but when I start it I’ll log when the noise happens and at what temps etc. I am going to do a transmission fluid change first though, I know it’s been at least 5 years.
As far as I can tell;
From a 2 day off. Turned it on and let it warm up just enough. Drove it for 10-15 mins or so with zero noise drove like a charm. When it got warm it began... like a with tickA tickA from underneath shifter area... Clutch pedal fine, shifts fine. I hear the noise while in hear always both acceleration and deaccelleration (whatever) . When I am at a STOP or slow moving idle it’s gone but if I’m 30-45 mph in idle slowing down it’ll still make noise. . I just don’t know

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to find out what is causing the noise. I had an A2 that made a slight ticking noise in 5th gear only, when slowing down. Then one day, the transmission started shelling teeth from the gears. Totally destroyed the transmission.

Dasgog

You need to find out what is causing the noise. I had an A2 that made a slight ticking noise in 5th gear only, when slowing down. Then one day, the transmission started shelling teeth from the gears. Totally destroyed the transmission.
I went to Lowe’s and it did it between 2nd-5th even while driving and also neutral as I slowed down (I assume because it was still winding down) but not in idle at a stop. On the drive home it stopped.
Which I won’t classify as anything. It made the noise and when I have my day off I will do as instructed and check for anything I am able to see. I did not do oil change yet as I didn’t have time but that’s a for sure. I will indeed give this a more thorough look because as you stated, it’s just the calm before the storm.

thank you

Dasgog

I would inspect it before changing the oil. It doesn't take too long to get the floorboard off and then remove the transmission cover.
Sounds good, I’m sure it will tell me a lot in itself. It’s been at least 4 or so years that I know of.
ill do that first, check it.

Dasgog

Hello!

first I want to mention I’ve not heard a single noise from transmission area (in cab) since I got it.

I took it off road into the mountains and didn’t exceed 15 mph or ever get out of 2nd in High. I left it in high because some areas was a smooth faster drive.
Anyway there were a LOT of bounces and all over the place movements. After we got back onto the road I hear a ticka ticka ticka really fast from what seems under the shifter area. At idle it’s there and gets loud til I am fast enough to not really hear it but it’s there. I assume all the bounces knocked something loose?
I don’t even know where to begin. At idle when I laid under the vehicle I saw nothing abnormal.

suggestions?
I forgot to respond to this a while back. It seems the noise was the speedo cable had somehow ripped out of the transmission and wrapped itself around it and was ticking. After removed all of it the noise went away. Of all the things.

Dasgog

We all love easy fixes that do not involve dropping the tranny and pressing gears off and on!
I know, right?
But now I took it for a drive and came back and checked everything and right where the 6 lines feed into the fuel injector pump it’s leaking out fuel. I can see it puddled in the grooves where the lines meet and I see it all sprayed under the compressor.
I am hoping it’s a simple o ring rebuild right where the injectors collect inside. I really really don’t have it in me for a big project right now.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are several threads on this. The gist is, loosen the injector lines before re-tightening. They seat better that way. Do not over-tighten. Check the hex plug in the middle. It should be very tight. It is a tapered fit and torqued ape-tight, but if they leak a flat copper washer under the bolt head has helped in several cases. If it still leaks, write down/make a drawing of the metal plate with the line numbers on top of the hydraulic head and remove that plate. Only then can you really see where stuff is leaking from.

If you can identify one particular line and there is no evidence of the head of the line being cracked, it is possible to replace the ferrule at the end of the injector line (if you can get replacements at NAPA or an injection shop). Keep us posted.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found this ferrule at McMaster Carr and it works. Did not fix my leak but the problem is not the ferrule.

Probably if you call they would tell you the manufacturer. I did not call about it yet.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
One should pull the tunnel floor plates and grease everything in there that does not normally get greased AND re-torque all the transfer case shifter bolts and all the jackshaft bolts.

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Frank are the transmission and transfer case breathers obvious once you pull the tunnel floor? Think mine might need looking at for blockage.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Frank are the transmission and transfer case breathers obvious once you pull the tunnel floor? Think mine might need looking at for blockage.
Yes, but there is no excuse for double posting data, but I sure I can make up some excuses.

That is in the TM's

Attachments

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I made a little tool to make it all very easy. I have seen and did read in here where some sealed up the floors to make it pretty and more quite and mo better, but they sealed it all!. There is much under those floors to be checked and torqued and lubed and cleaned. Nope, I still can't spell.
Oh well..................

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks