• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Batteries

Lex_Ordo

I need new batteries!

What brand, and part numbers do I need?

Also is there a sealed Gel cell that is maintenence free, so I can hook 'em up and not worry about them again until I need to replace?

Lex_Ordo

That's just the tray.
My truck has a new battery box bracket installed, and the new style plastic battery box. I'm fine with both sincethey were installed before the truck was surplused.

I just need a good pair of maintenance free batts to go in there. Since I'm newto the deuce, I am learning everyday. It will take many months of research before I can really understand the workings of it, so all help is appreciated.

ida34

What he is telling you is to get the brackets. They are for Optima batteries to fit in the stock deuce battery box. You can get Optima batteries at most auto supply stores. The are gel batteries. If you want the stock style batteries then you need 6TL batteries available from Deka, Interstate, and such. The are expensive. Over a hundred a piece. Some people have good luck getting blems for cheap. There are gel 6TL batteries. I can't remember the manufacturer but I can tell you right now they are more then you will want to spend. Other then that just pickup the largest cch battery you can find at the auto store and rig up a bracket to hold them down in the box.

Lex_Ordo

I looked up the optima battery website, http://www.milbatteries.com/index.html
I see what you guys were talking about.
Do the batteries lock into the tray, or is there some kind of a cover that secures them in the tray?

So I can buy the plastic adapter that raises the two Optima Sealed batteries to the correct height and width, then place the batteries back into the plastic M35 battery box, hook up and latch down to the rack frame?

Alright, aside from one of you coming over and hooking these up, becasue I know the questions are getting very specific, what model battery?
and
what cables to what terminals?
http://www.milbatteries.com/optima/specifications.html

Sorry for all the questions but, I want to learn and there is no way better than from folks who have done it.

FreightTrain

Banned
I went cheap when I got my batteries.I got a pair that fit a 1983-1994 Ford F350 and used 2x4s as spacer.Not pretty and not recommended.I did it just to get the truck home and when I get my duallies running the batteries will move over to them.I think the trays from OD iron bolt to the plastic box via the holes already there.The batteries have lips that snap onto the tray and hold them in place.

Somemedic

for chits and giggles what are the actual dimensions? I grabbed a couple of batts from AZone, biggest cca's they had. Would hate to get to the pickup and find theyre too big

Lex_Ordo

Those pics really made the thread!

So is the Military using the Hawker type or Optima type batteries? It seems from what I'm reading that both are employed.

The Hawker look real heavy duty,where the Optimas look kind of light. However, if the Cranking Amps from the Optimas are good, I suppose it would have been the units decision as to how much weight they wanted to carry in and out of hte truck?

Since it is just me doing most of the work here, I opt for the lighter weight Optima I think.

K9Unit

Just my 2cents, I purchased a sealed deep Gel cell battery from Napa, Its a napa brand battery, same size as the yellow top optimas, I found it to be about 15.00 cheaper than the yellow tops. I am happy with it so far and has plenty of cranking amps to crank the deuce.

Hammer

There are a couple of branded versions of the Optima battery. Orbital is one, etc.
They don't have the same cranking amps, but they especially don't have the same reserve amp hours that the larger hawker batteries have.

# CCA - 1225
# Reserve Capacity 240 min
# Capacity - 120 Ah C20
# Usable Reserve - 70% DoD

BUT, for the cost and weight difference, you can get a lot of years of service from a set of optimas or rebrands.

One thing though, if you have any cold start problems, or want to run stuff with the truck off, or don't run the truck often enough to charge the batteries, the smaller batteries will have a harder time starting the motor in the cold.

I am not sure the Optimas were ever used in the service, where they?

Lex_Ordo

I got a nice e-mail this morning from Jim Wagner at Mil Batteries. I want to share it, for folks wanting to purchase new batteries as I do. I think it is very informative and gives you a nice platform to start with...

" The Red Top is a pure engine starting battery. The Yellow Top is a combo starter/deep cycle battery. With the Yellow top you lose a little cranking power but it's a bit more abuse tolerant (leaving the lights on, low alternator output, etc). I prefer the Yellow for most applications. Any of the group 34 size models work with the adapter. In the Red Top that is the model 34 (top post only) or 34/78 (top post and side GMC type terminals).In the Yellow Top it's the D34 or D34/78. The models without the side posts may be a little easier to install.
FYI - Your CCA's don't double with a series connection. Only the battery voltage does. So 2 Yellow Top group 34's will have a pack CCA of 750. The most critical factor in getting a long battery life is charging, charging, charging.

Ideally your alternator should be set so it has a voltage (measured at the batteries) of 28.6 to 29.0 volts. Amperage output should be enough to support all loads. The other factor with vehicles that are not driven on a regular basis or not driven very far is to:

1. have a good charger, designed for sealed AGM batteries. (Optimas are NOT gel batteries. Gel chargers have a voltage setting that is too low. Many conventional battery chargers allow the voltage to go too high for sealed batteries).
2. use a charger about every 3 months to top off the batteries.

I suggest looking at the Interacter products. www.interacter.com. They have a program setting specific for the Optima battery.

I'd recommend a charger with at least 5 amps. You could also use one of their 24 chargers and wire a NATO plug on it which would make battery charging very easy (you still want to open the battery box to allow air circulation). "

Blacksmoke

I went the same route as FreightTrain. I got the biggest CCA batteries availabe at Wally world & used 2x4's to make a nice snug fit. Spins the ol' girl over with plenty of power. Main reason I get my batteries there is that no matter where I go, I should be able to get warranty replacements if one goes bad. But I have had very good luck with them for years. No saying this is the way to go, but it works for me.

Last year I was parked in front of the barn unloading a load of hay. Got in to move the truck & there was a click & that was it. No luck charging or jump starting, so I got my F-350 out to pull start it. Wasn't sure if I would get enough traction in the barnyard but it was no problem at all. That's when I got the new batteries. It had OD colored military batteries in it but I don't remember what kind, maybe Exide.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks