• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Brake Issues

cworthem

We have two M35A2s and they have been sitting outside for a while so we decided to begin working on them. When we started to move one of them we realized that the brakes weren't working. When we push on the brake pedal it just goes all the way down to the floor. Has anyone ever had this problem, or know what to do in this situation?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fairly common problem . You may be able to bleed it and get them to work . But I wouldn't trust them without a complete inspection , wheel cylinders tend to leak after sitting . When was the last brake inspection / service done to it ? ( remove drums , lines , inspect all parts ) ect.

ATPTac

I would have to agree with porkysplace, pull all the drums and check the wheel cylinders, hoses, master cylinder, and air pack. You'll more than likely find several leaks you'll need to address then bleed the system. Don't forget that these come from the military (typically) with DOT 5 fluid in them, which can get expensive.

ATPTac

You're going to need some somewhat specific tools to pull the wheels/drums off to inspect everything. Namely a 3/4" drive set, 3" 8 point socket (to get the bearings/drums off), and either a geared lug wrench or a pipe to use as a breaker bar. Unless you're very familiar with bearing preloads and how to work on trucks like this, I would highly recommend reading up on how to do all this before you start digging into everything. While you're in there it would be a good time to repack bearings and replace axle seals as well... I recently went through and did the front wheel cylinders, axle seals, and repacked bearings on one of our trucks, here is the thread for a reference: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?118090-M35A2-Front-axle-and-brake-service

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great advice this weekend we will go over the truck and see whats wrong with it.
If you have not done so yet you should download the technical manuals and save them to your computer.
[h=3]TM's for the Deuce[/h]Start with these.
GTA-9-1-1851-8.pdf M35 complete diagram of with descriptions of all components.
TM9-2320-209-10-1.pdf
TM9-2320-209-10-1 Operation, Installation and Reference data for the M35 series, Operator Level.
TM9-2320-209-20-1.pdf
TM9-2320-209-20-1 Scheduled maintenance organizational level M44 series 2-1/2 ton trucks.
TB-9-2300-426-20.pdf TB-9-2300-426-20 Hydraulic and Air Hydraulic Brakes preventive maintenance.
TB43-0002-87.pdf TB43-0002-87 Brake fluid replacement procedure.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks