• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 door hinge screws broken

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an M35A2 that I was trying to replace the door hinges on. Two of he screws that hold the hinge to the body frame broke off. The screws go in to some sort of "floating" plate in the frame. Is is possible to get that floating frame part out? I can't get a straight angle on the screws to try and tap them out on the lower hinge.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can't get to that plate to remoove it. Tap the good holes and get some short bolts and bolt the floating plate to the body. That will give you a ridgid place to drill and tap the holes out

Barrman

I tried to get that plate out when I had my cab off last winter for the same reason. I couldn't do it. A person with small hands could get a hand in through the cowl vent to the back of the plate. But, it is held on the same way the captured nuts are. With metal around the edges.

I would suggest you go ahead and remove the entire dash plate and the gun ring mount if you have it and are working on the passenger side. You now have enough access to the plate to drill. Or maybe even enough room to put a nut over the broken off stud and weld the nut on. Then a regular socket wrench might remove it.

jamboly

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the feedback. I was afraid you were going to say something like this. Wish me luck.
By they way, is there some sort of special hardness bolts/screws I should be using when putting the new hinge on?

Barrman

Grade 5 or grade 8 will work. I will have to look at the manual to see what was stock. I used grade 8 for the most part because I have a bunch of that right now.

I put anti-sieze on every fastener when I put the gasser back together. Mostly because just about every fasterner was stuck and had to be removed by alternate methods.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks