• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 dump conversion

sawmill71

I have a 1974 AM General m35a2 cargo truck that I would like to convert to a PTO driven 12' cargo dump. I have a 1975 Ford f700 with 9 foot dump bed. I was hoping to swap the sub frame from the F-700 and add it in between the m35 frame and cargo bed. The Problem is the 3 foot difference in length. I do not know how to figure how much strength the original 10 ton hoist will loose with an extra 3 feet of forward length and no other change in original sub frame geometry. I had hoped to remount sub frame and add in two 3 foot filler pieces to make up difference on sub frame. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Well if it doesn't lift as well once its on the deuce(due to the extra 3ft) you could put up a divider in the bed so material won't go into that area.

M543A2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There were WWII CB dueces with dump cargo beds, They did as was suggested in another post when hauling coral and dirt for runways in the Pacific; put a limiting headboard in the beds about 3' back from the front to prevent too much weight too far forward. I have seen them in period pictures of runway building. You might find it will dump fine with wood and other materials not as heavy as dirt and stone especially if you do not load wood like it appears to have been done in your picture, keep the heaviest loading to the rear.

sawmill71

Ha it's an optical illusion.We run a firewood processor that is a ford f700 parked along side the m35a2. I am setting it up to bring log length firewood home from local wood lots. I had been doing it with single axle dump trucks but needed a more sturdy solution.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks