• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Pressure Regulator (Air System)

dropaduece

Dear Fellow Members,

I was wondering if any one could help educate me on the air system of the m35a2. I am making a 4x4 out of my duece and have decided to clean out all the clutter in my frame. I have removed all the copper air lines and have decided to go with nylon tubing and push lock fittings. Getting rid of all those compression fittins and going back to pipe. The one part I am stuck with is the pressure regulator. How does a stock m35a2 pressure regulator work. I know at some point it is sending pressure to the air compressor to tell it to engage or dissengage. Am I right so far? I have cleaned my fire wall up aswell and have removed the stock regualtor. I have mounted a brass air manifold to the firewall which I will run all my lines from. Is there any way I can just use a standard air compressor pressure regulator in place of the old regualtor. I guess what I am asking is at what pressure does the regulator kick in and what pressure does it send out to the compressor. Any information would greatly be appreciated.

Seth

dropaduece

Thanks floridianson for the quick response. I am assuming the bendix d-2 governor is a recommended replacement over the stock unit? My pressure regulator on the truck now is definetly not the bendix unit. If you think this will work for me I will pick one up. Any idea on what these run. Also what pressure does the compressor need to see in order to engage? And what pressure does it need to see in order to dissengage? Thanks.

Seth

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is wrong with the old governor and why don't you just put it back in the system? The replacement air line some are using is call synflex and can be had from Napa. I have not seen push lock for synflex and I have my doubts as this is the correct way to secure you lines. The correct fittings the synflex uses have DOT stamped on them and are compression type.

saddamsnightmare

September 20th, 2008.

Dear Dropadeuce:

Be very careful of your air system modifications on the deuce.... If you lose air you still have the hydraulics, if you lose the hydraulics you have no way to stop the truck. I would suggest modification to the ESP brake system used on the M35A3's rebuilt in the 80's/90's which split the system physically into 2 halves..... That would be a more remunerative rebuild then to mess around with the air system and it would increase your braking redundancy 100%. I know you may not have huge hills where you're at, but a deuce without brakes can be a very hard ride.....
Good luck on your rebuilding, and be safe...

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

dropaduece

I simply wanted to gut all the old airlines, fittings, and components from the stock system and update. All my nylon tubing and push lock fittings are DOT approved, so there is no problem there. The only thing that I am stuck on is the pressure regulator. Floridianson.....I have purchased a bendix d-2 governor. I am just a little confused what needs to happen between the regulator and the compressor. Is there a valve in the compressor that opens and closes to enagage or disengage the compressor, if so at what pressures? Once again any information would greatly be appreciated, or even the manual number where I might find the desired information.

Seth