• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m35a2 quiet turbo

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take the intake pipe off and feel/turn the shaft within. It should turn easily with almost no slop/play.

Katavic918

The d turbo is pretty quiet. You can hear it better with earplugs in but it's still faint. The above check is a good one. Why do you suspect a bad turbo. An m35a2 should be able to pull the front wheels off the ground under acceleration.

dmetalmiki

A poor or failing turbo will result in lower power, (some say not)..and probably a lot of blue smoke. Also if failing badly there will be a squeaking/screeching noise from contacting parts.

Last edited:

brianp454

There are a small number of ways they can fail as they are pretty simple devices. The posts so far have focused on the wheel not turning properly and what happens as a result. The seals can also fail and leak engine oil into the intake or exhaust. If it leaks into the intake the engine goes into runaway depending on the amount. Any multifuel operator should know about the risk of runaway and know what to do in that situation. If you haven't already done so, you should check out all of the TM's here and on other sites.

Katavic918

There are a small number of ways they can fail as they are pretty simple devices. The posts so far have focused on the wheel not turning properly and what happens as a result. The seals can also fail and leak engine oil into the intake or exhaust. If it leaks into the intake the engine goes into runaway depending on the amount. Any multifuel operator should know about the risk of runaway and know what to do in that situation. If you haven't already done so, you should check out all of the TM's here and on other sites.
A runaway diesel is a scary thing. Yes you should have a plan of action in the very unlikely event it happens. I wouldn't lose too much sleep worrying about it though. I think you would have a fair amount of warning if seals start to leak bad enough to approach a runaway situation. Such as excessive smoke or difficult to control rpms. But yeah, anything is possible.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
As someone who has burnt the seals out of his turbo, I can tell you that they tend to leak to the exhaust side rather than the intake. I'm not saying it can't happen, just that it isn't likely.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Its possible. I am not as technically versed as some of the others on this site. I can only go by my experience.

Jeepsinker

It would be a whole lot easier and cheaper to just source another multifuel. It is not a bolt in swap. The Canuck deuces had an Allison behind the 4/53t.

Last edited: