• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 "Saddam's Nightmare"Cold Start Solution....

saddamsnightmare

MArch 9th, 2008.

Gentlemen: [thumbzup]

Back in January I posted a series of questions on how to overcome a cold start problem
my Desrt Storm veteran deuce "Saddam's Nightmare" was having when it was below 32*F (eg. it wouldn't start untill it did reach 32-33*F), and I got many good suggestions. Well first I changed the batteries to U6TL or mil standard DEKA's-- the problem continued. Iordered a new starter switch from Saturn---they sent the wrong one (a rotary). Meanwhile the truck wouldn't start at below 32*F. I finally got the right switch in exchange with Saturn (KUDOS THERE!!!), installed it two nights before last, Thursday Night/Friday AM was 25*F (should be a no start morning), got out to the truck at 25*f, put her in nuetral,set up the light and start switches- hit the button for the starter and the flame heater- kicked over on the second full revolution then went to to 1100 RPM high idle with the hand throttle..............
Two (2) $150.00 military batteries and a $25.00 switch solved the problem... AIN'T LIFE GRAND??? Sometimes its the simple things that can screw up your morning!! The old switch was corroded on the outside, and apparently enough had worn or burned off the starter contacts inside that the gap increased at freezing to where it couldn't make contact. No way to tell how old that switch was, but the wear on the button makes it look to be likely the factory installed item from 1971. :beer: [thumbzup]

NOw to see what will happen next..... The Never ending stories of our Dueces... :popcorn:
Time for the fat lady sings

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce truck.
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Mercedes Benz S404.114 UNIMOG.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: M35A2 "Saddam

Good deal. Who knows, that faulty switch could have stranded you in the worst possible place. It's good that you could duplicate the issue long enough to narrow the problem down and get it licked. 25 degrees :shock: ! I feel cold when it's 42 overnight :lol:

saddamsnightmare

RE: M35A2 "Saddam

March 9th, 2008.

Dear Bull Dog Mack 13: (AKA Iron Man Bennett):

My truck's problems all seem to be just minor ones, shooting the bugs from long storage and Army maintenance out of her..... You really DID get rid of a very good truck (contrary to what my wife thinks when she's gotta get up early to take me to work when the deuce didn't start).....
Julie got the photos back from the lab yesterday, so when I get home Wensday from Austin,I'll put a set in the mail to you of her, she'll be without her 3" national star on the bumper and rear cross sill, those got applied themiddle of last week. All in all, I can't complain, but there are some days when I wish she'd of been ESP'd or Air Force modified.... IT IS TRUE- THE Air Force Does TAKE BETTER CARE of IT'S EQUIPMENT then the ground pounders do.... Whole different philosophies of maintenance...Even AF locomotives are better maintained....

Jay, I'm thinking of bidding on an ex AF M105 at Altus AFB, OK or a M105 Army unit at Norman,OK. If I get one or the other, I'm thinking of having her fluids changed and using her to co up an get the trailer and bring it home. The crunch is Altus is 210-250 miles from here, so that will be a 6 or 7 hour journey one way, and I have no clue what condition I'll be in from the pounding. You'd love the story of that catbird that towed her down from your place to mine with that Chevy PU and trailer....he couldn't EVER get over 45 MPH, and the fiirst call was that Friday night to the effect of "I've GOT YOUR MONSTER ON MY TRAILER AND I CAN'T GET OVER 45!!! Needless to say he was ever so happy to lose the deuce, and I don't think he'll ever move ANYTHING with an M- in front of the number (I suggested he stick to M38/M38A/M37/and M715 series items....) 700_ miles at 45 had to suck royally!!!
Keep me posted on your Dodge's restoration, sure it's AF, but with the exception of the twits beating your combat rims up, it looks like it's a good truck (even has a heater). Givemy regards to Mrs. Bennett and GI JAY,Jr, I'll bet he loves that fleet you're collecting---MAKE SURE HE WEARS THE EAR PROTECTORS!!!!!

With Great Regards for the many, many kindnesses,

I remain, Sir(s),

Most Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce
1963 Swiss Army Cargo UNIMOG S404.114 Mercedes Benz :driver:

N.B. The photos are duplicated on a disk, now if I can figure out how to post them, I'll let you Steel Soldiers types that love the nopics icon, to see an everyday, garden variety 686A Tan cargo deuce with a hard top, so unexceptional, you probably passed her many times in her career in Illinois and Kuwait/Saudi Arabia, the US and Vietnam, that she never got a second glance. She's is just a common deuce working for her living hauling me and any gear I need moved, around Northeast Texas.

HOWEVER, she is beloved of all the old vets around here for the memories she brings back to them, and on May 17th, 2007 (a Saturday), it looks like the Red River Valley Chapter of the MVPA is gonna be here for 3 or 4 hours at the Sam Bell Maxey House State Historic Site, 812 South Church Street, Paris, TX 75460 Tel:(903) 785-5716 to participate in a Memorial Day program. It will be called "TO DEFEND AND PROTECT" and will look at Texas and US Military History from the Mexican War to Operation Iraqi Freedom, and to honor our past Veterans and serving G.I.'s, so all of you Steel Soldiers who are in the area are hereby invited to attend!!!!! SHOW ME YOUR WAR FACE!!!!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I totally agree about the USAF/Army maintainince, but a trailer is a trailer.. A quick inspection tells you how much it DIDNT get used.... The tailgate and how beaten it is/isnt is a great indicator of use.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks