• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Starting Issues- "Saddam's Nightmare" revisi

saddamsnightmare

:cookoo: February 27th, 2008.

Well, It was Below 28*F this morning, she has a NEW SET of DEKA Ordnance batteries last Monday, and wouldn't crank when the starter switch was despressed EXCEPT...... I put her in gear, went back into the house to get the wife's Jeep out, then on a whim, turned the switches on, held the wires into the back of the starter switch- hit the button and she cranked once only (she was in gear and I had to let off), but she wouldn't do it again after she was put out of gear.

SOOOO - now I figure it's probably the push button starter switch is out of adjustment internally and reacts to temperature differences below 32*F, or it could be the starter solenoid on the starter motor or connections. If I change the switch that should narrow it down so, but how prone are deuces to this problem with temperatures???
She'll always start at 32*F and above (or at least untill thismorning- I'll see what she does at noon when I get home-Probably she'll start on the first revolution).

I will say that the threaded part of the starter switch neck that sticks out of the dashboards has a good coat of rust on it,so I suspect she got caught with her top off at sometime, or the windshield or side windows open in a rain, so what sort of contacts are in the switch, and would they corrode or wear like the horn button contacts?

Would the Saturn #31159, NSN 2920-00-096-9396 Keyed Ignition switch work as a substitute directly, or should I stick with the Ignition Switch,2-1/2-5 ton, push button,
PN 11640178, NSN 5930-00-133-9629 as she has now?

If its the starter solenoid, Any suggestions on repair, rebuild or replacement, as otherwise the motor has aways worked?

I remain, Sirs,
Most Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan
I'd rather :driver: the deuce then the wife's 2006 Wrangler Unlimited!

1963 Swiss Mercedes Benz S404.114 Unimog
1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 wo/w "Saddam's Nightmare" Vietnam and Desert Storm Deuce
(but afraid of the cold!!)

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: M35A2 Starting Issues- "Saddam

The start button should be waterproof, but there is no spark supression, so it may fail after a certain number of cycles. Normally, contacts that switch inductive loads have some kind of protection to "kill" the inductive kick from an inductive (coil) load.
A diode is most often used, but a varistor works well also....
I have replaced my start switch one time.

The image below is not applicable to the deuce starting system, but a diode can be installed as shown here.

Attachments

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor

so when you say start you really mean crank? there are only a few things to check, just need a test light with a real long wire to see if starter is getting power. no point replaceing anything until you diagnose it properly.

saddamsnightmare

February 28th, 2008.

No Click, No Crank, Nothing. But It did attempt to start once when I held the wires and shoved in on the rubber bushing at the back of the switch. The truck was in gearand it would've been exciting if she had fired over then. I have since cleaned the switch up, but given the amount of rust on the rear case, I would suspect enough wear to the contacts that at lower temperatures the points may be too far apart to work. She will fire at 32 to 33* F, and everytime above that. I'm cleaning the oil off the starter solenoid (apparently someone got oil on that, but there seems to be no leaks on that side of the engine other then the dribble pipe from the injector system) with CR 56, and will check those connections. I will replace the starter switch and hold the old one as a back up, but the condition does seem to be low temperature induced. :drool: :deadhorse: :cookoo:
Intermittent Electrical failures ARE THE ONES THAT DRIVE ME NUTS!!! Insanity is a dead 37 year old deuce with an intermittent failure.

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" , Vietnam and Desert Storm Veteran truck that dislikes being cold.

Capt.Marion

Check the battery cables. Clean the contacts and the clamps (or whatever they're called). It's happened to me with a tractor, and it took tearing apart the starter motor to check for problems, replacing the solenoid, and almost rewiring the thing. I then tried to start it, with no luck. Cleaned the battery cable ends and clamps, reattached everything, and lo and behold... we have a running tractor.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks