• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 Tach not working

Lenny

I pulled the cable out of the tach and noted that it does not turn with the engine running. I'm thinking of course cable, or gears in front of the engine etc, but I haven't investigated any further yet. So before I start taking stuff apart I thought I'd ask Is anyone aware of any common problems with these trucks that cause this. Thanks, Lenny

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you could pull the cable out, then cable is broken. There is keepers on each end to keep you from pulling it it out.
So I would say the cable is broken. It does happen if you do not keep it lubed.

Lenny

I also noticed a couple of other things that I didn't mention. The cable spins freely in the surrounding jacket. Also that the cable will pull out about one inch and then it gets stuck. I didn't try to force it. If the cable is broken like somewhere in the middle is there a retainer that keeps me from pulling it out all the way on the tach end? And if it is broken I guess I'm going to have to disconnect it at the front of the engine too to get that piece out. Does that sound correct? Judging by the speedometer cable on my bicycle, (I know no great similarity there), if you pull the cable out at the speedo end it turns freely because it's not engaged with the gear at the wheel. This RPM setup must be a similar thing right? Thanks, Lenny

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have to take the retainer off at the motor end to pull it all the way out, if it is not broken. It may of just broke the end off at the motor.
I would just try to push it back to the motor end and see if the motor turns it. It may not be engaging at that end, or it is rounded.

dmetalmiki

As previously mentioned, this is one oft times neglected item to be serviced, (and), Due to the sharp angle of the cable at the front of the engine, this a common failure point. You need the complete cable inner and outer. (then) Keep it lubed. graphite, or molyslip and oil mix keeps them turning (the clocks) smoothly, and lengthens the longevity of the inner cable.
The gearbox rarely fails.

Lenny

I would be able to remove the two broken lengths from front and tach end has anyone ever successfully replaced just the inner cable? I guess that I should ask if it's even available. Lenny

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When the cable breaks the little frayed pieces parts of the cable chew up the housing. Usually, if a new cable alone is replaced, it will fail pretty fast because of the damage to the housing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks