• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 Transmission Swaps

Hummer Guy

I've seen all kinds of swaps with the M35 talked about for the engine and trans, but the one thing I can't find anything on or if anyone did this is an eaton 6 or 7 speed swap. It seems like it'll be the best transmission for the deuce if you like a standard. All the forward gears on them are synchronized which is a bonus and Eaton are known for having some of the best transmissions. I can imagine it'll be a day and night difference driving the deuce. It'll be much easier to shift, especially 1st and 2nd, and have a better cruising speed at a low RPM, which we all know the multifuel doesn't like high RPMs much. If any did this, please say how it was or what different transmission did you go with

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The real estate for the trans (and engine) in the truck is just very small. That is what make an exchange very troublesome, as it requires the relocation of the transfer and modifications of the drive shafts. Every gearbox I've seen is larger than the Spicer 3053A.

I even successfully used one in an M37 repower.

I've seen Allisons refitted in A2's, and the A3 uses a slushbox.

As an aside, Rockwell did make 5.20:1 gearsets for the dropins, as part of the M35A3 project. The two sets I had are long gone and I've never seen another.

That would be an interesting task to see how many and what $ was necessary to manufacture them by a gear outfit today. (Not me, my plate is full & I have no deuce).

rustystud

The real estate for the trans (and engine) in the truck is just very small. That is what make an exchange very troublesome, as it requires the relocation of the transfer and modifications of the drive shafts. Every gearbox I've seen is larger than the Spicer 3053A.

I even successfully used one in an M37 repower.

I've seen Allisons refitted in A2's, and the A3 uses a slushbox.

As an aside, Rockwell did make 5.20:1 gearsets for the dropins, as part of the M35A3 project. The two sets I had are long gone and I've never seen another.

That would be an interesting task to see how many and what $ was necessary to manufacture them by a gear outfit today. (Not me, my plate is full & I have no deuce).
You can buy a 4.90:1 gearset from "Ouverson Hardcore off-road" supplier. They cost $1200.00 . To change out all three axles that would cost you $3600.00 . Pretty pricey .

Last edited:

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does Ouverson make just one set of gears to lower the ratio or two sets?

Being double reduction, just curious.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks