• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A2 vs M818 tractor towing

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Should a M35A2 tow an M818?
Figure a standard towbar would work but is this something that should be done for a 400 mile drive?
Any special considerations for brakes?

Michael

I just did a 200 mile trip and wouldn't really recommend it. You can hook up the M818 just like a trailer and stopping really isn't too much of an issue (if the brakes work on the M818). It is the going that is the problem. On flat ground we could make 45 to 50 eventually, but any kind of a grade and our speed would drop. Some of the good grades in TN got us down to 15 MPH. The whole story is here:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=20574&highlight=

ida34

Slow but do able. I pulled mine 205 miles home. Took a while to get up to speed and the slowest I got was 35 mph on a steady hill outside Toledo.

jwaller

I wouldn't do it. the 818 is very heavy and is more than the M35 is supposed to tow. when you jacknife that rig in the road or run somebody or something over your insurance is not going to cover it bc you have exceeded the towing limitations on the truck.

I wouldn't count on the 5T's brakes working. and the deuce brakes are marginal on a good day.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks