• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 n00b Owner - Bundy Hill Adventure

Belagurus

I purchased my M35A3 with the intent of using it as a recreational vehicle. So far, the vehicle has been a ton of fun. At the encouragement of another un-named Steel Soldiers member, I have chosen to post the story of my first adventure with the vehicle.

Keep in mind as you read this that I work as a computer geek - clean rooms, data centers and rows upon rows of neat, orderly, and clean servers are what I am accustomed to.

Five days after purchasing the Vehicle, I decided to take it off-road for the first time. I selected Bundy Hill ORV Park as the venue for my first excursion. It took about 1.5 hours to get there traveling at 53mph (seems to be about 2950 RPM on this truck). Before heading in and wheeling, I asked if they had a way to get me unstuck if I proved to have more balls than brains. Operating as a gravel pit during the week, I was assured it would not be a problem. So, in we went. It only took me 30 minutes to bury the M35A3 up to it's fenders, water coming in the passenger side door. I had no intention of EVER taking my M35A3 that deep, but I was unfortunate enough that someone with a custom rig running on 60"+ tractor tires had been playing in the center of the hole an hour previous. I had tested the hole 1/3 of the way from each side before proceeding with the crossing - was only bumper deep. I thought for sure that at only a truck length and a half, this was going ot be an easy crossing. My heart really sank when the front-end suddenly sunk and the vehicle landed solidly on it's frame in his ruts. I had also took the hole at about 15mph.

So - a quick summary of where we are at this point. A computer geek with is two cell phones, two laptops and telephony test gear in the cab is now sunk 5 ft into the center of a silt hole at a gravel pit with water coming in the cab. Shock was about all that registered. I was not prepared to get dirty! I had not even contemplated such a serious encounter.

As the 50 or so spectators watched from around the hole on their quads and custom rigs, I used my cell phone to reach out to the main office for help. They sent one of their park rangers down to take a look at my situation. When he saw me he laughed - he had jeered at me on the way in that he would like to buy it... for some reason he had lost interest LOL. The park brought down a large dozer to get me out - I was skeptical as the dozer was only 2/3 as big as the M35A3. After about a dozen or so attempts & creating some massive ruts with the tracked vehicle, the M35A3 was freed from it's silty prison. Hooray, right? Yes and no - all was not well.

Apparently approaching the hole with some speed like off-roading with a cheap pick-up was a bad idea. When the truck sunk, the force of the water on the radiator pushed it back into the fan blades, which in turn broke off and mutilated the line to the air clutch on the fan, embedded in the radiator, and decimated the fan shroud. Additionally, the rearmost passenger tire had gone flat in the hole as well as the spare. When inspecting the damage to the vehicle, the tire on the same axel but opposite side went flat.

Summary - 1.5 hrs away from home, the radiator and fan are toast, two flat tires, no spare. So - what does one do? Call Progressive Road-Side Assistance of course.

Apparently Progressive had it listed as an AMC general ... I had to tell them it was not a Delorean. Then they asked if it was a Hummer - i had to say not really, it's bigger. Finally I had to have the rep pull up a web browser and google "M35A3". What followed was silence and an ".... OH". She informed me that there had been a mistake in the classification of the vehicle and I needed the commercial vehicle department. Long story short, they sent a Semi tire repair company. LOLOL they guy was lost with the CTIS and two piece rims.

I ended up being fortunate enough to make a new friend at the ORV park who works on big trucks for a living. He facilitated the re-coring of the radiator, the procurement of a replacement fan, and the installation of said items. The whole process took a couple weeks. As a whole, the truck sat down near the park being repaired for the majority of time I had owned it.

When I picked it up, the two rear tires were flat. I was able to air them up using a glad hand to airline jig I picked up at the truck stop, and at 10lbs, the CTIS took over and they staid aired up. All good to go - Radiator is repaired, and the tires are not flat. right? WRONG!

I had not cleaned all the clay off of it after my excursion, and the wheels were way off balance. In a short mile, the death wobble of the M35A3 was SOOO bad, the hose at the bottom of the turbo separated from the turbo. The loss of power in the motor and the crazy woosh of air were staggering. I managed to limp it back to the place where it was being repaired, begged for the use of a hose and proceeded to use the nice new shiny DeWalt power washer I'd purchased to clean the clay out from the wheels. After re-attaching the bottom hose to the turbo and a thorough cleaning of the wheels / tires, all was well. We were off!

On the way back, as life would have it, the M35A3 was great; however, the Jeep my wife was following me in had a steer tire sidewall blowout. That turned out to be the last piece of the adventure. One tire change later, we finally made it home.

It took me 7 hours of cleaning to return the vehicle to it's state of cleanliness before going wheeling at Bundy Hill. It was a great adventure, and hte most expensive 30 minutes of fun I've ever had. Hopefully the next outing will be as much fun, but not as expensive. For now, we will keep things tame and just do the work commute in it thrice a week so it does not sit too much.

Pictures are attached - not a bad first adventure, eh? :)

Attachments

trukhead

I know you are going to want to read this thread: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/74278-m35a3-rear-wheel-bearing-packing-photos.html

Those axles, transfer case, tranny, engine, steering box, are gonna want service.
Warm metal and cold water, those assembles will suck water like a vacuum cleaner.
Like backing hot boat trailer hubs in the water, water gets sucked in as hub cools and trapped air contracts and then you have water where you don't want it. I'm spending at least $600 bucks on fluids and flushes for My A3 and I didn't even take it swimming.:shock:

Don't forget water in the 2 flat tires. I found 2 gallons of water in a wheel I broke down.

Welcome to SS. I bet it was fun drivin yor rig though!!!!!:):driver::jumpin:

Do all the PM and download and read the manuals and you will be fine. Get the water ot of your truck bearings though or it will get very sopendy!!:whistle:

If I want to go fording in an A3 , may I come down to your house and we go in your A3?:eek::hammer:

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your gonna do it might as well go all out! The PM you have to do now will get you and your new ride nicely acquainted.:driver:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You shouldn't run an A3 at 53 MPH. I don't take mine over 45. You are overspeeding the engine. I would recommend turning off the CTIS. Inflate the tires manually up to 60 PSI. The truck will drive much better and the death wobble will be minimalized.

Belagurus

Thank you for the advice, I'll take all I can get. I am very new to working on vehicles, let alone a M35A3. I have snaggeed the technical and operator manuals off of the web. Time to start that PM :-D

Since the swim in the silt filled hole, I have noticed that my crank case pressure is enough to push out the Oil Dip Stick. When I check the oil, it appears in good condition. From what I understand, the oil pressure and crank case pressure are un-related, right? So - when I am running at 50mph and I have 90+ PSI of oil pressure, that is ok?

Thank you for giving this n00b some tips!

trukhead

Thank you for the advice, I'll take all I can get. I am very new to working on vehicles, let alone a M35A3. I have snaggeed the technical and operator manuals off of the web. Time to start that PM :-D

Since the swim in the silt filled hole, I have noticed that my crank case pressure is enough to push out the Oil Dip Stick. When I check the oil, it appears in good condition. From what I understand, the oil pressure and crank case pressure are un-related, right? So - when I am running at 50mph and I have 90+ PSI of oil pressure, that is ok?

Thank you for giving this n00b some tips!
30-45 psi is about right for a warmed up engine in the 1200-1500 range. I think you have too much fluid in your engine crankcase. Water and oil are not a good mix in an engine! ouch:?

Rustygears

It's time to get really busy really quick. You essentially submerged your truck. I'll bet there is water in everything since you shut it off in the bog with the majority of the engine underwater. Based upon the symptoms, there's a good chance there is water in the crankcase, the steering gear, the axles, hubs, brake system and possibly the air assist steering system. You've got to get all that drained out and cleaned out because it will corrode (rust) and make even more long term problems. Also, the water carried lots of fine silt and that too will tear things up in the crankcase and elsewhere. Change the crank oil NOW. Check the tranny oil quickly. If you had water over the floorboards of the cab, the tranny filler was submerged. If that wasn't on tight or is not watertight because of gasket, leaky vent, etc. you're looking at a $6k repair time bomb.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One other thing to remember is that A3 trucks have rubber mats in the cab. Water will be under the mat from being submerged and causing all kinds of rust. A3s will rust under the floor mat even without being submerged due to condensation.

This would also be a very good time to switch the transmission over to Dexron III. You can kill two birds with one stone.

Rustygears

One other thing to remember is that A3 trucks have rubber mats in the cab. Water will be under the mat from being submerged and causing all kinds of rust. A3s will rust under the floor mat even without being submerged due to condensation.

This would also be a very good time to switch the transmission over to Dexron III. You can kill two birds with one stone.
Great points, Gary!

Mud is a great source of rust because it holds the water against the metal even though the exterior is dry. The mats on the floor and tranny tunnel will do exactly the same thing.

I won't get on the dexron bandwagon, as there's a bizillion posts and it's a Ford/Chevy religious argument, but the bottom line is that those fluids gotta get changed before the water trapped underneath the oil corrodes the sh*t out of the machined bearing surfaces. I can only imagine the snot in the crankcase coming from the oil pump whipping water into the oil. It would make the worst head gasket leak look like a walk in the park in comparison.

joshs1ofakindxj

I believe it is more likely the fan was pulled into the radiator by the water than the radiator being pushed back, especially if it is an aluminum fan.

Chicken before the egg maybe...

Belagurus

Interestingly enough, the M35A3 I purchased lacked the rubber mat. At least that is one problem I will not have to worry over :-D

Thanks to everyone for the compliments and advice. We'll be swapping out all the easily accesible fluids Thursday. I am not seeing any sludge on the dip sticks for the oil or transmission, guess we will see what it looks like when it's drained :) More to come once we get a good look at it all.

trukhead

Good to hear you are proceeding with the service.:grin:

Maybe 2 x on the engine oil change.:idea:

For the tranny here is some good reading:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/...tion.html?highlight=transmission+flush+dexron

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/...ions.html?highlight=transmission+flush+dexron

My A3 tranny is gettin flushed 4 times.

Here is a link with some specs in the forth post down:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/57568-m35a3-info-needed.html?highlight=transmission+flush+dexron

This post, 3 rd page, 6 posts down, rustygears gave us a list of filters.
Send rusty a 6 pack and say something nice as well:beer::grin::grin::grin:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/...-maintenance.html?highlight=m35A3+filter+info

I''d drain every thing with a plug at least once and do the steering assist and brakes as well:popcorn:

Belagurus

Good News! All of the fluids checked out - no water or silt or other extraneous material in them whatsoever. Many thanks to everyone for their help and advice. On to Silver Lake, MI! w00t.

Belagurus

Thank you for asking trukhead, just saw the reply LOL. The truck is running great... the only repair since that incident was a failed airpack for the rear brakes. Pulled up to a stop light and the truck wouldn't budge 'till it was in low range heh.