• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 TRANSMISSION Problem..

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Hey guys,
Anyone have Transmission problems with the A3?.
My friend borrowed my A3 to pack the snow down and burned up the tranny.
Anyone know of one for sale, Or a rebuild parts kit from Allison?
Or too expensive to fix..just put it in a spring auction and unload it..?..Which im thinking of doing if the rebuild kit is to expensive..
Kevin..
decodeme@verizon.net
'

rwoods

Check the classifieds for a complete A3 powertrain. I am told the tranny is/was a fairly common school bus transmission. Check with some salvage yards before you have your fire sale. I'm sure someone on here can also advise whether a manual conversion is worthwhile. 2cents Ron

DieselBob

Wasn't to long ago there were a bunch that auctioned off GL. Would think some would be for sale. Now at what price would be the question. Maybe check with Eastern, TNJMurray or White Owl. Maybe one of them scooped up a few.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
One advantage of rebuilding the transmission is that you will know the condition of the transmission when you finish. Getting a used transmission is like buying a 'pig in a poke' so to speak. With so many of those Allison transmissions around (same model?) I can't believe the cost of the rebuild kit would be too severe. I would talk to a mechanic in a rebuild shop that works on Allison transmissions for advice, such as whether special tools are required.

A3's you gotta pay to play

The A3 transmission is an Allison 1545 which is kind of an oddball. We have an M36a3 right now that we are going to need to pull the trans on as its having issues. Looking at the data for this trans for max hp and torque output it's right at the peak for the A3 application. I think this trans was better suited for a Rainbow bread truck. I talked to our companies Allison factory rep who has worked for Allison for 20+ years and when I asked him about our Allison 1545 he said what the heck is that thing in??? The number one suggestion he said was get the 15w40 motor oil out as soon as you can as it likes to varnish if worked hard. He highly recommend transynd Allison's synthetic oil. We have had great luck with their MD and HD world series trans in the refuse and concrete mixer market running transynd fluid. I was quoted $2-2,500 to have the trans fully rebuilt. With the A3's you gotta pay to play.

I wish the A3's had Allison MD3000/3500 series trans as we wouldn't have any transmission issue threads going on!

Andy

Stalwart

The military was stupid for putting 10W-40 oils in their automatic transmissions, I understand they didn't want to stock ATF but it has cost a lot of money and manpower replacing all those transmissions that fail early. They could always use 10W-40 on a combat emergency basis . . . :roll:

Stalwart

If you can find a plug yes, Ford at one time had them in all their automatics, I've never seen one in a GM product though.

The Allison rep told me to just pull a trans return cooler line and run a hose into a bucket. Start the truck and add fluid quickly to match the amount coming out. Keep an eye on the color change of the fluid to know when the new fluid starting to flush. I'm sure an Allison expert can add more info if this is a good or bad idea.

I used to "flush" my Aisin transmissions in my Volvo 240's this way and it worked great. You just have to be quick with adding your new trans fluid as the transmission will dump fluid quickly out of the return cooler line.

Andy

Monkeyboyarmy

Kevin

When I bought my truck the trans was on its way out. 1st,2nd and 3rd were strong but fourth and reverse were weak.I pulled the trans out (took me about 2 weeks to figure out a way to get it out by myself) and pulled it apart (basically an oversize turbo 400).No special tools needed that you wouldn't need on any other trans.Found out that the forward (fourth) clutch was burned up.Rest of the trans was like new.Went to my local trans wharehouse and picked up a complete re-seal kit,cluthes and steels for the forward clutch(same as the turbo 400) and a filter for $95. The complete rebuild kit with all of the clutches and seals was $200. I didn't get it back together yet. The TM on these trucks has all the info you need for rebuilding one. The 1545 is a lock-up trans. I don't think that the 545 is. The manual says (very often I might add) that you can replace the 1545 with the 545 but it does take several different parts...ie torque coverter adapter and transmission adapter? . Also it says that the valve body in the 1545 is not serviceable.BTW,I think that reason for the failure is because the breather tube got plugged up and started pushing fluid out of the fill tube.The breather tube runs up behind the cab and is very small in diameter.It doesn't take much to plug it up. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Yep,
Did not watch the trans temp until he smelled the trans fluid when it pushed itself out the fill tube. Also I think he was not in low range. Pulling a hill in 30 inches of snow did it./ Thanks for the info. I have a friend whio rebuilds the allison trans, says he can do it for 1K if its not too bad..Like clutch pads etc..Guess you have to pull the trans and the transfer case as a set and split them on the ground. When this happens you almost have to junk the truck!..I may just put it in the local farmers auction....I will be on the lookout for a 1545 trans.. thanks!.
Kevin..

Monkeyboyarmy

The transfer case is divorced from the transmission.Just remove the jackshaft between them and the transmission will come out.But it is a royal pain.You cannot lift the trans from the top like an A2 deuce because the center of gravity for the transmission is too far forward and the dash is in the way.There is very little room between the trans and transfer therefore you must tilt the front of the transmission down at about a 75 degree angle before you have enough room to get it out.And you need to hold the torque converter from moving and falling off also.But its all fun,right? 1K for a rebuild is probably fair.

tm america

some have 1545p and some have 545 they are basically the same one is a lock up trans other is not.The at545 is super common and if you do a google search you will find hundreds of them for sale.prices range from 100- 1000.most are selling around 350.Just depends how low milage you are looking for

decodeme2

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks guys for the info!./
Its does not sound as bad as i thought. I will have it pulled and send it to the rebuild man.
He said 1K to rebuild it.. Hopefully it will be 600 to pull it and install it. Then i will be sitting pretty.. I will check the vent tube to see if its pluged. I just want to go wih the correct trans and not 'try'/adapt another..I will let you guys know what happends...
Thanks again!
Kevin..

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks