• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35A3 Won't Start

renovate7

I was able to visit with my A3 at Warner Robbins this week and got 2 new tires put on it so it is ready to roll. Unfortunately it won't start. The fuel tank was EMPTY and I think it may have also been run out of fuel. I put in 10 gals of diesel and cranked, intermittently, for quite a while. I got fuel to the filter for sure. I was able to run it for about 20 seconds, carefully, on starting fluid but it wouldn't stay running. A local Cat dealer said these are very difficult to get started when run out of fuel and said they put suction on the return line to help. When we go to pick it up, with a trailer, next week I'll start with a new fuel filter and go from there. The engine looks "new" and the truck has 3800 miles and 125 hrs...Any wisdom from the board greatly appreciated.

trukhead

Runn for me baby or go bit#%..

I have aspirated my cucv with wd40 to get it primed and running WITHOUT THE dreaded ether knock of death.

I have not tried it with my A3 but I would do the wd40 in a pinch. The guy at the auto parts store said he used to get all types of out of fuel diesels going again that were stranded on the interstate using wd40 and shooting it in in spurts to keep the engine running until it caught on diesel.

:jumpin:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yea common rail takes a while but no bleeding needed. Suction would be the quickest but Keep cranking and she will clear. Wish they would have put on a primer like some IH.

renovate7

Thanks for the input. The WD40 sounds like a great idea...I had a GM 6.2 in the 90's that ran out of fuel. I got some diesel and cranked it, on the side of the road, until the batteries were about dead. It FINALLY started. I called the "jiffy lube" that had changed the fuel filter and not filled the new one before installation and gave them a (small) piece of my mind. Adding it to their collective intellect still equaled zero.

Akicita

While you're checking on things, look at the fuel filters, particularly, the primary filter. It may be clogged and keep the new fuel from reaching the engine. I'm going to fix that problem on my recently purchased truck this weekend.

hemichallenger

I would pull the air intake hose off at the intake and use starting fluid while someone cranks it over with at least half throttle. Start cranking before you start spraying. It might take 1/2 to a can of good starting fluid. Do not give it a big shot and then go in the truck and crank it over.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks