• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35's from NC drive

It’s a long drive from Minnesota to Eastern North Carolina in a Dodge 3500 diesel with a straight pipe! I brought about 1,000lbs worth of tools, oil, antifreeze, filters, Dot 5, adjustable tow bar, 50ft slave cables, chains, etc, etc. I picked up the trucks first thing on Monday morning 4-9 at Camp Lejeune. All of the trucks started right up without assistance. Good oil pressure, no air leaks, firm brake pedals. I drove one truck at a time back to the hotel and then had a taxi take me back to the base for the next truck pickup. Luckily I have customers in this state that I call on so Mon-Thursday evening I was traveling through the state anxious for the drive home over the coming weekend. Friday I took a day off work and went through every truck checking oils,fluids, greasing every zerk, inflating all tires, etc, etc. Trucks all run really strong and seem to be in like new condition. Mine is the soft top and is a 1988, My uncle purchased the other two- the one with the bows in the bed is a 1989 and the other is a 1988. All ex-air force trucks from South Carolina. We started the trip on Saturday around 11:00 due to the fact that my uncle & cousins couldn’t fly down due to bad weather in OH and had to drive to NC. We hammered down the highway and got into Coschocton, Oh about 1:00 AM which is a total of around 600 miles. Trucks ran flawlessly the whole trip and averaged about 9mpg with the mountains factored in. I was really surprised but the trucks never got below 40mph on even the longest grades. These trucks are night and day from the 1970 M35 Naturally aspirated multi I had in high school from a power standpoint. Even on the long grades these trucks hardly smoked. My N/A multi would have made the road behind me look like Mexico City on some of the grades we were on (which isn’t a bad thing!). We opened the toolbox’s on Sunday to find brand new glad-hand air kits, wrenches, screwdrivers, safety triangles, bottle jacks, etc. My uncles 1989 had a brand new 20ft slave cable which was a nice surprise! All trucks have the maint. Folders and check in sheets that were in the glove box. The picture shows my uncles other M35 with winch that he purchased from Chambersburg, PA. After owning 800 series 5 tons with the Cummins I forgot how sweet the M35 is from a ride standpoint. I love not having power steering as it gives the truck that much more character. And the raspy multifuel exhaust note is hard to beat for a diesel nut like myself. I’m just going to leave my truck at my uncles until my SF97 clears (in 2010?) then I’ll drive back to MN. Our prayers were answered for a safe trip. Enjoy the pictures.

Andy

Attachments

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: M35

So what does Bland look like?.....

Great convoy!

Watch the SF97 comments.....or you'll be blacklisted like me. ;)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
RE: Thanks

All dropsides!? Nice, wish they were in my stable. Looks like thats about 45 min from Oilcan in Zainsville.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Great looking trucks, wonderful pics and a nice read to boot. They sure look good convoying together.

Melvinitis

Wish I knew about your trip, I have a CUCV waiting in Raliegh. I could have driven with, or paid you to tow it... oh well, next week it will FINALLY be here in WI, just in time to get a load of mulch.

CanadaDeuce

Andy

Grats on the fleet of Tan .... looks way cool

I cant wait to get my Deuce, im a long way from you guys but between us all it will be a blast ! ..... did my first up close and personal a few weeks ago on a deuce, what a wonderfull vehicle.

CanadaDeuce

jblack6527

Great looking trucks, I was watching those trucks while they were up for bidding. If I remember, they all had super low miles on them. Some really good pics too.

hotel and prom

Southdave- You wouldn't want to see my prom picture. I took my 1970 M35 to prom and I have a picture of my date sitting on the fender. When everybody was getting out of limo's I dropped my date off and then hammered through the gears to leave a nice cloud. All thumbs up from everybody! I still have people in town asking about that truck "oh your the guy with the Army 6x6". We have a bigger hole in the ozone above my town thanks to that old n/a multifuel truck. Waste Mgt. is now using it for a fueling truck at one of their landfills in Iowa.

On the hotel- It was one of those questions "Those trucks over there as I point to them, I'm going to leave them there until Friday is that ok?". The lady at the front desk kept joking with me throughout Friday on how I kept getting dirtier and greasier throughout the day as I would come in for a drinks of water. She got a kick out of it. I'm sure Hilton hotel chains now have me black listed. Dirty filthy Minnesota Rednecks....

Andy

saddamsnightmare

April 18th, 2008.

I hope your trucks had the air ride seats for that trip, otherwise your derrierres are going to be numb! Nice trucks, and you didn't miss anything by not going to Bland, Virginia, though the old road (US 52) over the mountain used to be heck on any large truck as it was 12 or 15 miles of severe grades to get over to the W.Va. side (ran like 9 or 10%). I really like the USAF upgraded M44's, though my M35A2 went on her first 200 mile trip yesterday, and other then a leaking lube oil filter gasket (and no replacements to be found anywhere), and yes the normally aspirated 465 will create smoke on accelleration and down shifts.
I was down at Red River Army Depot in Hooks, Texas yesterday, and man, if I had Bill Gates money, I would be dangerous!!! Whole lots with new and reconditioned HEMTT's,M35's,M818's,M105 trailers, SEE/ HMMH's (only a few-but I wanted one),HMMWV's in all the flavors- Whew, it must be nice to have all sorts of equipment to move around. Uncle buys the best equipment, then let's it sit around.....
My MEP23A generatopr was reconditioned at Toole Army Depot in 1888 or 1989, had 6 hoours load test, and 1.5 hours run time since, all new manuals in the plastic wrappers, and extras on the skid, the only rust was on the mufflers..... And if anyone has a good generator for a MEP18A, keep me in mind as I may change out the generator only.....

Thanks again, and Happy Motoring (at $4.07 a gallon for diesel- I'm glad I didn't have to pay your fuel bill),

Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce :drool:
1967 Hercules MEP23A Gasoline generator Set, OD green and clean! :beer:
""??"" M105A2 Johnson MFG Co. 1-1/2 Ton Trailer, MERDC or NATO 4 color Woodland, OK.Army NG Unit. :jumpin:
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog, S404.114, Mercedes Benz in NATO green. [thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks