• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 block

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys I bought an engine out of an M37 its 100% stock and I got it for not to much money and it runs fine. I had it running in a chassis and when I shut it off and went into the house for a couple hours and when I cam out there was a very small puddle of water under the engine, I started looking things over and found a crack in the block its very tiny but its looks to be about 3" long and there is a very small weep of coolant coming out, I would like to fix it with one of those solutions you put into the cooling system and it finds the crack and plugs it (for lack of a better description) Do you guys have any thoughts on which one of these sealing solutions is good, and works?
All ideas appreciated!
Karl

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If I was considering a non permanent repair, I would notch out the crack a little and fill it with JB Weld.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks much guys and I do agree with all your responses but will try the blue leak sealer they do claim its a permanent fix, guess we shall see? Thanks again for your assistance!!

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had good luck with that blue stuff in Diesels by Mercedes, Ford, and Detroit.

Seems contact with dry air causes it to coagulate and seal up. Kinda' like humans do when cut...

M37M35

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would notch out the crack a little and fill it with JB Weld.
This is the way I'd go.

My dad and I have actually fixed some pretty large cracks in blocks and heads this way, and it does work. Some of these fixes are 30+ years old and still in service!

I've always wondered how those sealers know not to seal up things you want open, like the passages in the radiator or heater, or other small passages.
Me too. I don't use the stuff.

87cr250r

JB weld can work. Drain the coolant, end drill the crack, V out the crack, clean clean clean, then apply. Most people will skip at least one of these steps which is why they get bad results and then blame the epoxy.

The right epoxy properly applied should be permanent. Be wary that the temperature ratings in water are quite different than what is on the label. For example, Devcon's epoxy available at parts stores says 250°F on the front of the package but it's only rated for 120°F in water.

There is also Lock-N-Stitch if you want a permanent metal based repair.

OutpostM37

I had a crack in the M37 230 engine exhaust manifold. These exhaust manifolds are expensive compared to the intake manifolds. Maybe because the exhaust manifolds are prone to cracking.
My rebuild shop has an ultra fine metallic powder that has an iron and zinc compound. They welded the exhaust manifold and it has been working perfect for 4 years now. They charged me $75 at the time. I hand carried in the exhaust manifold to the shop. 230 m37 engine.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks