• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 engine in genset?

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a gent here a while back that had an old genset with the M37 230cid engine in it, it looked stock. I know Chrysler had stationary engines used for gensets, but I can't remember what military gensets had that engine in it.

The subject came up with a friend talking about his M37 - his mechanic has tried everything to get the engine running, but no dice. I said it might just be easier to find a running engine and drop it in the sucker. My M37 engine is staying put, so that's not an option. Just trying to remember what sources of replacement engines are out there without tearing apart another running M37....

pwrwagonfire

I realize this doesn't COMPLETELY answer your question...but the replacement engine I got for my '52 M37 is marked CHRYSLER INDUSTRIAL ENGINE with a model #, it is the same engine as civilian power wagons, mine had the M37 intake and military fuel pump installed already. I did some asking around online and found out they are swap-able.

These I was told can maybe be found in old forklifts, etc.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen the M37 engine in an old Navy 12k forklift... Besides the intake being different, it looked the same, even had the military plugs and wires. It was built in 1952 and we were still using it in 2004 at the Norfolk Navy base...

I wonder what happened to it? Heck, they may still be using it!

Last edited:

Thunder in NWOR

The 230 engines were built up into the 1980's and were used for everything including cars, trucks, boats, snow machines, gen sets. Casting marks were about the only differences.

Your friend may check the oil pump setting.
The oil pump drives the distributor and if the oil pump is even one gear tooth off, the dist is out of sync and engine wont start.
(learned from experience!!!)

CGarbee

I have a complete, running, takeout M37 engine sitting in my yard looking for a good home... It came out of one of the project trucks that I have...

Tell your buddy to give me a call, I'll make him a very nice offer on it...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks