• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M37 Engine Rebuild Kit

I recently purchased a 1953 M37 that has been sitting in a hangar at an airport in Trona, CA. It sounds like that would be a good find and for all intensive purposes it is. Before being abandoned it had been neglected so now the water jacket on the engine is full of rust and corrosion. I would like to pull the engine and get that cleaned up and while it's out I would also like to have a full rebuild done. Is it possible to use an engine rebuild kit for a Chrysler 230 of the same year or all the components milspec?

If the thread for this issue already exists please link it as I was unable to find it.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the block serial number. It should start with T245 if it is a military engine.

If it is a military engine and you are interested in rebuilding that engine correctly, I would spend some time talking to two people.

First, I would call Charles Talbert at M-Series Rebuild. Next, I would talk to John at Midwest Military. They are both listed on the web. You find them extremely helpful and they are both wonderful people to deal with.

Storm 51

T. Highway

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do yourself a favor and look up Best Gasket on the web, they are the only ones that have the correct rear main seal that works. They have complete gasket sets also. http://bestgasket.com/product_search.asp

You can buy a Fel-Pro Gasket set but you will still need to contact Best Gasket for rear main seal and a couple of others that DON'T come in the Fel-Pro set.

When you pull the oil pump make sure that it is an offset tang drive or you will have more problems down the road. The Civi oil pump and military pump are NOT interchangeable. If your engine rebuilder tells you that the Melling oil pump with the M37 part number is the correct one IT'S NOT.
If your engine builder tells you that you don't need to gram balance your engine.........find a new competent engine rebuilder.

Please visit the G741.Org site and get your Vin # into the registry and ask a ton of questions. The site is M37 only.

Bert

GUNNY 155

I most definitely agree with T Highway. Get every thing balances and blueprinted. It costs some money to do it right but if you want it to stay together it is well worth the dollars. Remember this engine will be operating in its upper RPM ranges when you are going 45 - 50 MPH due to the way they are geared.

timntrucks

Steel Soldiers Supporter
a local man is wanting to find either a complete engine or a correct overhaul kit with crank like your talking about